Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Summarization of QA program with NQA-1, 10CFR50, ISO 9001
- - By supermoto (***) Date 02-20-2015 02:41
I was required to take an examination today just as way to see what our general knowledge was and come to find out I didn't really know any of the answers regarding the QA program which includes NQA-1, 10CFR50 App. B, and ISO 9001. 

I was hoping I could get a quick summarization.  I did my own research tonight and came up with the following:

NQA-1: 18 mandatory areas as a National Std. for QA for nuclear material, applications, structures, systems, and components of nuclear facilities. 

10CFR50 Appendix B: ALL activities affecting safety related functions including applications, structures, systems, components, design, handling, fabrications, storing, cleaning, erecting, installing, modifying, just about everything affecting safety related functions.

ISO 9001: 6 mandatory areas as a QA program.

I'm more familiar with ISO 9001 but not so much with the others and how they would interact as a complete QA program.  ISO seems less restrictive and more grey areas and can be used in many more different types of companies.  ISO has a bunch of stuff saying a bunch of stuff but doesn't really get very specific. One example is ISO says we want traceability but we aren't' going to specify what we want as I assume this is because it is a more generic QA program to fit a myriad of applications.

They threw another set of questions pertaining to various stamps which I am also not knowledgable on such as NA, NPT, and NR stamps and how they relate to ASME Sec III QA programs.

I now know the following stamps are as follows:

NPT - Fabrication without design responsibilities of ferrous and nonferrous materials
NA - Repair and Replace
NR - Field installation of class 1, 2, 3 shop assemblies

I don't know how they would specifically apply to a ASME Sec. III QA program other than they have these stamps for manufacturing, repairing/replacing, and installing ferrous/nonferrous components in new nuclear construction which could mean safety or non-safety related.

Just trying to understand it all and make sure I can explain it to someone else if needed.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2015 15:34
Looks like your field has the same problems we face in structural.  That being: a whole multitude of applicable codes, specifications, and standards that may clarify or confuse the issue but must all be referenced in order to make sure you haven't missed anything.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 02-20-2015 18:36
Yes, always trying to meet the many different codes, specs, and standards.  In Structural I would think you only want to have your AISC cert or if you want to be ISO 9001 certified.  Yes many specs might reference D1.1, FEMA, AISC, NACE, etc. but those don't really mean QA program.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2015 19:02
I'm afraid that all of those acronym organizations include in their respective codes, standards, and specifications criteria for QC and QA that must be adhered to.  Explains what must be contained in a written QC/QA plan (the QAP = Quality Assurance Plan) from qualifications of personnel, to procedures, to inspections, to resources, and what, how, and where records are handled, stored, and made accessible.  Not to mention items the EOR may include in the Contract Documents nor the items included in IBC-2012 Chapter 17 Special Inspections (everyone always skips past the first pages and just goes to 1704 which is a mistake as the whole chapter has instructions on how inspections are to be approved and handled). 

This is part of why LA requires their own certification as a Deputy Inspector in order to work on jobs there.  They want to make sure you have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done as a Special Inspector and that you have a handle on D1.3, D1.4, D1.8 and Bolting as well as D1.1.  New CWI's don't make it. 

But, I am not trying to make my circumstances appear anything like yours.  The items you have to deal with and the various places the info comes from are intimidating to say the least.  And I am sure the QA requirements far surpass those I have to work with.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 15:22
Basically App B is the regulatory document that determines what you have to do.
NQA-1 comes along and determines how you go about doing it.
Your QA program will extend this in greter detail.
ISO 9001 really has nothing to do with nukes.
They all use the same 18 point criteria.

And to sum up the nuke stamps:
NPT is for piping fabrication
NA is for nuclear assembly such as skids and modules.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 02-24-2015 18:31
Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Summarization of QA program with NQA-1, 10CFR50, ISO 9001