Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Truck Tralier Frames
- - By js55 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 17:56
Does anybody know, is there a certification required by the DOT for performing welding repairs on truck trailer frames?
Is there a code of reference, a standard, or guideline available for such activity?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 19:37
I talked with VDOT several years back regarding a trailer mfg who was building trailers to travel on Virginia's highways and asked the question about the WPSs and Welding Personnel qualifications...I was told to use AWS D1.1.
Now if you are speaking of tractor trailers and large trucks....then you may want to investigate what steels are being used in the construction of these vehicles...because from my understanding some mfgs use some off the wall high strength alloys that do not lend themselves to being readily welded and have stickers/placards attached to the frame saying so.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 20:51
I had an occasion to speak with a person from the NHSA regarding this matter a few years ago. He said it was my lucky day because he was probably the only person that even knew what I was talking about.

He stated that there is no requirements at the federal level regarding the qualification of the WPS or the welder. The only requirement was that the person doing the welding follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

I also spoke with the person responsible for inspecting trucks and trailers for the state. He said if the weld was not actually broken, he could not order the truck off the road. Of course, other states may have different requirements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 22:00
Thanks guys. That is pretty much what I have discovered. Appreciate the feedback.
My company is thinking about doing our own. I can handle the metallurgy and the welding engineering stuff. I just wasn't sure about the regulatory stuff.
I'll put a robust program I place.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-24-2015 21:19
49 CFR
ยง 393.201Frames.
(a) The frame or chassis of each commercial motor vehicle shall not be cracked, loose, sagging or broken.
(b) Bolts or brackets securing the cab or the body of the vehicle to the frame must not be loose, broken, or missing.
(c) The frame rail flanges between the axles shall not be bent, cut or notched, except as specified by the manufacturer.
(d) Parts and accessories shall not be welded to the frame or chassis of a commercial motor vehicle except in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Any welded repair of the frame must also be in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.
(e) No holes shall be drilled in the top or bottom rail flanges, except as specified by the manufacturer

FMCSA says a trailer is considered a motor vehicle
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 02-26-2015 04:35
I would be shocked, amazed and astounded if anyone could enforce or prove in a citation hearing that any weld wasn't.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-26-2015 12:45
Yeah no kidding.  Me, I'd try for a letter from the mfg, and they would almost certainly tell you to go to hell.  Unless maybe you are an authorized distributor.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 02-28-2015 04:49
I tried for three months to get a WPS from a well known heavy haul trailer manufacturer that builds very high quality high capacity light weight lowbeds out of T-1 steel.   After three months i just had a P.E. make a drawing and A did a PQR to cover my on hiney.    IT was easier and cheaper than dragging the trailer 250 miles round trip and taking it in the rear to have them do it.

On the old aluminum 48"ers i just used to weld the cracked cross members to send them down the road.  Never the frame rails though.    By the time you started welding up cracked cross members its a count down clock to the scrap yard.
- By Dualie (***) Date 02-24-2015 04:52
sadly Trailers fall under the if its hanging off stick it back on standard.    Its pretty much a free for all when it comes to constructing and welding of trailers.

On the MFG and END user level its pretty much the weld as well as your insurance will cover.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Truck Tralier Frames