Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Hydrogen effect on Toughness
- - By TA.welding Date 02-26-2015 16:22
Dear All,

Does anybody have any experience on , decreasing  effect of Hydrogen ( moisture in the flux or on pipe etc.) to the toughness properties of  low carbon steel  (0.10 max )  sub merged arc welds.

thanks and regards.

TA.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-27-2015 01:19
I notice that you have only posted twice in here so may I suggest that you include much more details of your application including a description of the SAW set up and the type of flux, storage, filler metal, thickness of material, location, whether or not preheat is mandatory and any other relevant detail(s) in order to help us better understand your actual set up and system of performing SAW on low carbon steel... I look forward to your response.:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By TA.welding Date 02-27-2015 08:45
Hi Henry

Thanks for your e mail .

Base metal thickness  : 28 mm
Wire diameter  :  4 mm
Preheat : not mandatory.
saw set up : longitudinal line pipe  manifacturing.

However , my question is more of a welding metallurgy question then a welding technique .  I am enquiring , if Hydrogen ingress can cause any problem for the FL charpy impact results.

Regards

TA.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-27-2015 15:50
TA,
The short answer to your question is yes, it can effect Charpy results. I have used bake outs to improve the results of charpy tests on welds wherein fluxed processes were used. It wont get you much because it is not an inherently metallurgical phenomena but it does improve results.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-27-2015 08:48
Henry why would only posting in the forum twice reflect on possible answers or suggestion? Bet I have got it wrong again!!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-27-2015 21:02
Glyn,

You're smarter than that... Usually when someone isn't a regular poster/participant in this forum, they don't include all, or most of the necessary details in their initial posts... Hence the reason for my suggestion... And as you can see I hope, that the OP does mention two key words in his follow up...  Thickness of material - "28mm..." "Metallurgical & Charpy..."  And "longitudinal line pipe manifacturing..." As a result js55 was able to provide his perspective & opinion based on the many years of experience js55 shares with all of us in here...:grin::cool: I would only add that depending on the location where the welding is going on, it might be prudent to perform a minimal preheat to metal that's 28mm thick prior to welding.

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Hydrogen effect on Toughness