Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Fillet Weld Throat Measuring...
- - By VivaLosVagos Date 02-27-2015 01:33
Ok, Here's the deal. I'm working under D1.6 on a nuke job. The welders are putting down terrible welds and are having a ton of concave filet welds, many with low throat. A supervisor on the job has tried to convince me (a CWI), and a third party inspector (also a CWI) that we have the same allowance of under-run on the throat size as we do on the leg size. Its been a LONG time understanding to myself, as well as what I thought all other weld inspectors thought, that if the throat gauge doesn't touch, the weld doesn't pass. His (the supervisor) argument is reasonably compelling so I thought I'd throw this out and get some input...
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-27-2015 08:56
Simple, ask him or her (the Supervisor) to show you where it states this and also the limits etc. in the current or even the stipulated version of D1.6...
TBH, it usually works the other wise around but since you and the TPI seem to be at a loss, use there weapons against them!
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-27-2015 09:52
Before you ask....check first which one is given in the drawing.....is it a leg size or throat size.
And then before you further ask.....find out whether you have used a proper fillet weld gage to measure the size.

Don't challenge the Supervisor by asking to show you where....I can't imagine how you will face the Supervisor if you were proven wrong.
If TPI seems to be loss, lodge a complaint. TPI should be an independent party who should have resolved dispute between "A supervisor on the job who tried to convince VivaLosVagos".
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-27-2015 15:20 Edited 02-27-2015 15:27
D1.6 2007  5.11.3
Figures 5.2(A) and (B) show typical examples of
Fillet weld profiles. Figure 5.2(C) shows typically
unacceptable weld profiles. Measurement of fillet weld
sizes shall be determined by the leg size for convex
welds, and the theoretical throat size for concave welds.

Also see 2.4.2.2 (1)

6.28.1.7  says "specified fillet size"  Which to me includes the two ways to measure size (concave and convex)...  The limitations of 6.28.1.7 logically would apply to each way of measurement.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2015 15:58
Mike,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Fabricator/erector supervisors are more interested with production and will bend every rule and push your buttons to make as much profit on the job as possible.  Some just like to argue, especially in front of their crew, to show that they are the authority and you know nothing and are nothing on the job.  Be very careful about these situations and don't let them push you into a public showdown regardless of who may be right. 

For the most part I concur with Joey, check your drawings and/or contract documents FIRST.  In order to do that you must know one other item, what does the applicable code say is the engineer's responsibility for calling out weld sizes?  Now, not having D1.6 handy I am going to reference D1.1-2010.  In Clause 2.3.4 we are told it is the engineer's responsibility to call out weld sizes and for fillet welds that means the leg size.  So, in a drawing for items being built to D1.1 I am to examine the fillet welds based upon this information, leg size rules the day.  So my drawing calls out a 5/16" fillet weld.  That means it is to be a 5/16" leg dimension from the root out and assumes the qualified welder has gotten penetration at least TO the root but not necessarily beyond.  Not my job on production welds to challenge that assumption, it is established by the committee on D1.1 as a starting place and is the why behind all the preliminary paperwork on welder quals, MTR's, and WPS's.  If all things are followed then the ODDS are in our favor and the weld is what it is supposed to be. 

So, having a drawing specified fillet weld with leg dimension of 5/16" I grab my 5/16" fillet weld gauge.  It has two ends, one for convex which is measured by the leg size, and one for concave which is measured by the throat.  The throat is not actually 5/16".  It is properly calculated for the inspector to be the proper throat for a 5/16" leg fillet weld, approx .222". 

Fillet weld gauges are go/no-go gauges, it either meets the specified size or it does not.  There is no middle ground.  Now, most codes will allow some underrun.  You need to know what that is for your job.  Again, drawing notes/contract documents and applicable code.  But, while underrun is established using the leg dimension, it then is proportional for the throat.  If you can be acceptable with a 1/4" weld leg, then the 1/4" throat would be acceptable, for a short run of the length as determined in the applicable code, NOT THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE WELD. 

Remember as well, a concave weld is not necessarily a bad weld.  Just a comment based upon your statement of "The welders are putting down terrible welds and are having a ton of concave filet welds,". 

The throat is a direct ratio size with the leg dimension specified on the drawing.  So, in a way, you, the TPI, and the supervisor are correct.  It is all in the final application and depends upon the applicable code, the contract drawings, and the end result of properly used fillet weld gauges.  Some of the welds may be acceptable and some rejectable.  You must carefully determine the end status. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2015 15:56 Edited 02-27-2015 16:31
The standard fillet weld gage is based on measuring a right isosceles triangle. The throat dimension is 0.707 times the leg dimension. Likewise, the leg dimension is 1.414 times the throat dimension. With that in mind, if the code allows the leg to underrun the specified size by 1/16 inch, the throat dimension for the undersized leg would measure 0.707 times 1/16 inch or 0.04 inches less than the specified throat.

The bottom line: if the code allows the weld to underrun the specified size by 1/16 inch, measuring the actual throat with a standard concave fillet gage that is 1/16 inch smaller than the specified fillet size will provide the inspector with the maximum underrun for the throat dimension.

If the weld is specified as ¼ inch, but the actual weld is undersized,  use the 3/16 inch fillet weld gage (1/4–1/16=3/16) to measure the weld. If the concave surface of the weld touches the probe of the concave fillet gage and touches both adjacent surfaces, the weld is the equivalent of a 3/16 inch fillet weld. It is accepted.
However, don’t forget that the undersized portion of the weld cannot exceed a certain percentage of the continuous weld length. Each segment of weld is measured independent of an adjacent length of weld.

It might help to remember that the weld size is the largest inscribed right triangle. 

As for specifying the fillet weld size, it is customary to specify the leg dimension per AWS structural codes provided the angle between the members is between 80 and 100 degrees. If the angle between the members is less than 80 or more than 100 degrees, the shop and erection drawings should include a sketch of the configuration and the critical dimensions since the weld between the members in a welded skewed T-joint is not considered to be a fillet weld per the D1 structural welding codes.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-27-2015 16:52
Thank you Al for the excellent instruction on how to use the fillet gages for undersized (concave) fillets.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2015 17:07
@ Al
Attachment: download.jpg (4k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-27-2015 20:36
I don't (haven't as of yet) deal in D1.6 and do not have a copy.
My question to your question is: Does D1.6 have an under run stipulation?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2015 21:13
According to an old edition I have on my computer, both underrun and undercut are allowed per D1.6.  Clause 6.28.1.7 and 6.29.1.7.

Now, as to how the OP's application views that may be different.  But I believe both Al and I covered our bases on that by making it clear that measurement was to be according to the applicable code and/or contract documents. 

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2015 22:39
Happy you gents found it useful. Thanks - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-28-2015 00:51
I even took the time to pull out a dusty edition of IT and read some guru's take of the use of Fillet Gauges that was written a few moons ago.  Interesting read.

Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-28-2015 01:50
That's what I'm pointing out whether correct fillet weld gauges were used. I've also experienced especially drawings came from Europe indicating the  fillet weld throat sizes instead of leg size.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2015 13:12 Edited 03-02-2015 13:59
Under the ISO standards it is acceptable to specify the leg or the throat, but the symbol must indicate whether the dimension is the leg or throat.

A "z" before the number indicates the leg is specified, while an "a" indicates the throat is specified.

Someday I'll figure out a way to scale these sketches!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Fillet Weld Throat Measuring...