Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Cutting the end of a beam
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-01-2015 08:30
Hello folks, it seems as if cutting the end of a beam off is a no-brainer, I might comment that I do believe that there are some "wrong" ways and "better" ways to accomplish this. Although folks have differing methods to do this, I would suggest that considering alternatives isn't always a bad thing. Having said that, I always attempt to keep my eyes and ears open to learn too. I strive to utilize a cutting method, regardless of structural shape, that promotes making the final cut in such a way that the drop doesn't twist or tear away as it is completed. You will see some separation issues when you are cutting really heavy parts and allowing them to drop on their own and when possible it is a good idea to properly support the drop so that this does not happen. However, there will be times, for whatever reason, that this is not readily possible and for those times using a cutting method that does provide for a straight drop will be beneficial. As always I would love to hear and see alternative methods so that everyone can make decisions on their own. I have included a diagram/page that discusses and illustrates my method. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-01-2015 13:40
Good morning Allan,

One point that comes to mind that I have done for years on beams, before starting the flange cut, pre-heat the center of the flange at the web junction considerably.  I generally do so from both sides to make sure it is really warm.  I also pre-heat the entire cut of the flange running the torch up and down it a couple of times usually from the 'back' side (opposite the side I will be cutting from).  This makes it easier to make a very nice, clean, smooth cut.  Then, don't use too large of a tip.  Bigger is NOT better.  Use the correct size tip for the thickness material you are on and the correct oxygen pressure.  Again, more is not better.  Unless you are on very heavy beams, over 2", 40 lbs is enough. 

One more thing, as I cut through at the flange to web junction I give the torch a slight inclination toward the drop piece.  I can deal with the tab that is left better than the slice into my good part. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-01-2015 16:32
Agree totally with your additional suggestions. Thanks for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Cutting the end of a beam