Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 1045 and grade 50 Steel
- - By Weldenthu Date 03-01-2015 19:40
Guys,

We are welding 2 inch diameter shaft (1045 chrome plated shaft) with 0.75 inch grade 50 steel. I did some search online and I have found out that we need to  pre heat the shaft till 400 F before we weld and let it cool after welding. However, my peers are telling me to also heat treat it after welding. They feel post heat treatment is more important than pre heat treatment. Thoughts?

Should we stick weld ( nickel alloy rod) or MIG weld it  (with low hydrogen electrode) ? what are the advantages/disadvantages ?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2015 02:39
You need adequate preheat and a PWHT when the weld is complete if you want the best possible outcome.

GMAW is generally considered to be a low hydrogen welding process. SMAW is only considered to be a low hydrogen process if the electrodes are low hydrogen and they have been properly stored. You might try reading D1.1 for some useful direction on the proper storage of low hydrogen electrodes. Be aware that L.H. electrodes purchased in a cardboard container must be baked at a high temperature before use.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 1045 and grade 50 Steel