Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A606 to A36 filler selection.
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 03-02-2015 15:07
I have a customer who is trying to create a WPS for a non structural  fillet weld and is looking for some assistance with filler metal selection. I am thinking 309. Anyone have any suggestions to something else? Process is going to be GMAW. Material is 1/8" in thickness. Thanks
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-02-2015 17:41
Well first off, you might want to post the metal you're going to weld together using 309 and any other pertinent details like the shielding gas you're using to weld, etc.. I'm going to presume that the GMAW metal transfer is going to be short circuit correct? You didn't mention which code or standard you're working to so you'll want to include that also in your reply along with as much information regarding your project as you can... Someone else will chime in before me, once you include the necessary details in order to begin providing you assistance.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-02-2015 18:13
A606 is a prequalified base metal in D1.1 Table 3.1

Table 3.1 has a special footnote (b) which for weathering characteristics links to 3.7.3

3.7.3 provides guidance for single pass grove and fillets using typical fillers on weathering steels and provides a further link to Table 3.3 for special fillers for weathering steels.

I suppose it really depends on what you want as far a corrosion performance.

309 filler will give you three things to look at...  The A36,  The A606 weathering steel and the 309 weld.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 03-02-2015 18:57
I was trying to juggle too many things at one time when I made the original post and now looking back at it I see I even had myself confused. What they are trying to achieve is to create two different WPS/PQR  fillet welds with GMAW. One will be the A606 to A36 as I mentioned and the other will be a 304 to A36, which I see I forgot to mention. There is no language in the contract documents that requires adherence to any particular welding code. The contractor is just trying to work in accordance with any AWS code to be able to express that they are AWS compliant.  I assumed we could try to weld to D1.6 since there was stainless involved( at least with the one that utilized 304 as one of the base metals). As far as the A606 to A36, yeah I guess that would be to D1.1. The company, to date has had a sub contractor producing these welds for them with GMAW using a 309 filler wire and tri-mix gas, but now wants to make the welds in house. The sub contractor has no WPS/PQR created that they are aware of. The research I have done suggests that that gas mixture will give good results so I figured we'd start with that.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2015 19:57
Since no welding standard is referenced, you could go with AWS B2.1.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A606 to A36 filler selection.