Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Pipe A53 made from Plate JIS 3101 SS 400
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 03-04-2015 04:29
Dear All

Is it OK if pipe ASTM 53 made from plate JIS 3101??

I thought A 53 not only Specification for fabrication for pipe, but also Material Specificatin.

Thanks Before
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2015 18:23 Edited 03-04-2015 18:25
ASTM A53 is a standard for how the carbon steel pipe is manufactured, chemistry, mechanical properties, marking requirements, supplemental tests, etc. It can be seamless, welded, furnace welded, resistance welded, etc. It can be finished by painting or hot dip galvanized.

Other requirements include;
it must be hollow, it must be long, you must be able to see from one end to the other. I believe it was our good friend Scott that gave an excellent description of pipe in one of his posts. Scott, do you have that description available?

Al
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 03-05-2015 09:00
I think, if we ordered Pipe A53 Gr.B, that include raw material [coil number] too...So, if if I make Purchase Order, I must make it very-very detail.

Price Pipe A53 made from raw material JIS different than made from raw material A53. JIS more cheaper.

Pipe manufacture get value from misunderstanding customer.

Regards

maxi
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-05-2015 14:17
The first question I have for you is, "What is the application?"

A53 pipe, when used in high temperature applications, are subject to graphitization when subjected to high temperature for long periods of time. For those applications, ASTM A106 Seamless CMn steel pipe is a better choice.

If the pipe is a structural member, subject to tension, seam welded pipe may by appropriate and there is no need to purchase the higher priced seamless pipe.

Any purchase order, for any material, should list the requirement in explicit detail. For instance, if seamless pipe is required, then the PO must specify "seamless only." If the purchaser requires material test reports for the actual product shipped, then the PO should include a requirement for Certified Material Test Reports. You only get what you pay for and then only when you are willing to enforce the contract requirements by independent testing. That being the case, the PO should also state what measures the purchaser is willing to take to enforce the requirements of the purchase order, i.e., independent material testing on a random sampling and refusal to pay for materials not in compliance with the PO requirements.

Al the bells and whistles will do little good if the purchaser orders the materials and has a production schedule that doesn't allow time for the independent testing and perhaps recognize the need to reject the material received. In short, it pays to purchase materials from reputable vendors.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 03-13-2015 04:42
Loud and Clear Sir... :smile:

Thanks A Lot

Regard
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Pipe A53 made from Plate JIS 3101 SS 400