Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Layout and simple, accurate way to cope like channel ends
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-04-2015 06:58
Hi everyone, I think I'm on a roll, so here's another post to suggest a way to cope like channel fits. There are a ton of situations where you will be fitting the same size channel to another channel, either in the form of a square or rectangular frame, possibly ends of stair stringers that are originating from a leg-out channel frame of a landing, or a host of other situations. Here'a a diagram of a method to layout, cut, and then with minimal grinding, end up with accurate fits that are easy to weld. I hope this can be of some assistance/help to some of the folks out there. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-04-2015 23:18 Edited 03-04-2015 23:28
I'll try this again. I got the correct program to resize the pictures again now, so I'll try to include them on here again. Best regards, Allan

P.S. Well I "FINALLY" got these to load. The first photo shows how the coping process might go if you start making cuts from the top without removing part of the flange underneath. Some of the subsequent photos show how the cut will occur with the flange portion removed. You'll notice the cuts with the flange removed underneath first allow for the least grinding to come up with a properly prepared fit. Some of the other photos show that without a lot of fanfare you can come up with a fit that is easily/readily weldable.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-05-2015 04:33
Allan,
just how I was taught
great advice
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-05-2015 05:06
Hello Kent, thank you for the reply and also for letting me know that some of what I have been shown over my career is common to other areas of the states.

Question though........, any other methods that come to mind for you? Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Layout and simple, accurate way to cope like channel ends