Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / An X to find a square corner: equal length lines or a radius
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-05-2015 06:26 Edited 03-05-2015 15:38
Hello folks, a while back there was a thread where this was shared by one of the other members of the forum, I believe that it was Tommyjoking. If it was Tommy, thank you so much for sharing this, if it wasn't Tommy and it was someone else, I apologize for not correctly identifying you and thank you just the same. I compiled this in a diagram form and have started using it as a hand-out in the fabrication class that I teach.

To those of you that work a lot with layouts on the shop floor this can be invaluable in providing an accurate set of right triangle lines that can be used for stair stringer layouts, handrail layouts, and anything else that utilizes the need for an accurate 90 degree corner.

When I would put something like this to use I would use a chalk line and snap down an X on the floor and then measure from the point where the lines cross out an equal distance on 3 of the legs and then snap lines to connect these 3 points. Wa La, instant accurate right angle.

Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 03-26-2015 22:56
Allan,
I know the threads a bit old, but I do have to ask...
Can you please write a book with as much information on fabricating as you care to share?
Pretty Please!:grin::grin::grin:
It could be a printed out collection of all your posts on the forums stuffed in a 3 ring binder and I'd still buy it :grin:
Thank you for your posts!
-Clif
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-27-2015 04:09
Hello Clif, and thank you for those kind words. I am actually trying to get our College to provide me with a spot on our homepage that links to a lot of the information that I have developed for my Theory and Fabrication class. We aren't quite seeing eye to eye on where I can include this information, but I'm working on it.

As to information for fabrication related topics, I continue to hope that more of the other folks out there, on the various forums, will continue or start to add to the information that can be accessed by all of the up-and-coming people in the trades.

So keep your eyes peeled and sometime in the near future hopefully there will be such information available. Again, thanks and best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / An X to find a square corner: equal length lines or a radius