Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / how to certify
- - By aecksg Date 03-06-2015 19:36
hi. I am trying to get a couple of guys at the shop certified for an upcoming project.
I am having a hard time finding in the d1.1 code book where it will tell me what the test specimen dimensions should be. and also im just looking for some general knowledge on how to read the code book.
Thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2015 20:06
Welcome to the forum Alex !

That's a big question.

The test specimens are detailed in Clause 4

Having a compliant AWS D1.1 project "may" take quite some effort, depending on how your current quality program is set-up. 

Developing Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS's) for the production work must be done as a first step.

Can't test the welders without procedures  :)

Much depends on the scope of the work... Type of base metal, welding process, joint configurations, position of welding, and many other considerations are involved.

You can certainly do it yourself.... But you might save quite a headache by hiring a consultant to get you through the first time. 

There are many more questions I'm sure...  But start by saying a little more about what it is exactly you are trying to do.

Again  Welcome !
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2015 20:07
Hello Alex,

Are you snowed in?  Anyway:

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Not a bad start there.  You gave us the code.  Now, it appears you have a copy of the code?  What edition? 2010? 

Next, let's make sure: are we talking about plate?  or pipe/tube?   

What grade of material?

Just for general knowledge, what process and what parameters?  wire, shielding gas, etc.

If someone doesn't come along and cram lots of info in all at once, I'd like to do this step by step so you can learn it, not just take our word for it.

Not trying to cut anyone else out of offering help, just thought I would try a new approach, especially with someone who appears eager to learn how the process works.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2015 21:19
You can read an article written for Inspection Trends that leads one through the process of qualifying a welder. The article can be found in the Summer 2011 edition if I remember correctly.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / how to certify