Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Taking it from flat to round
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-08-2015 06:58
Hello everyone, I know that many of you have the need to roll various types of materials into round shapes: narrow widths(rings), wide widths(pipe), essentially. Generally using the centerline diameter of a round shape and multiplying that number by PI will yield the circumference(which is also the length of the flat material required to make that particular diameter round object).

Some folks will figure this by using the ID of the part and adding one material thickness to come up with the centerline diameter, others will use the OD of the part and subtract one metal thickness to come up with the centerline diameter to use for figuring flat layout length. Either way comes up with the same answer.

In addition to this, it is often a good idea to allow for a bit of additional material on each end of the piece to provide for pre-forming/rolling the ends prior to fully rolling/forming the part. This is required when the rolls being used are not of the type that will roll a radius completely to the end of the piece. After prep-rolling/forming these "starter radiuses, the additional material is cut-off and the the final rolling/forming takes place. the diagram that I have attached here hopefully explains this process a bit better than my word description. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-08-2015 19:10
Here's a little something extra that some of you may not have considered before. I have used this with machines that are not designed to roll radius out completely to the end of a part. Hope that it can be of assistance to some of you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 03-08-2015 20:44
Good tips Allan, great when making backing rings!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-08-2015 22:04
Thanks Blaster, that's exactly what some of this comes from. When the kiddies are practicing they don't get to have the new fandangled backing rings that we use for the "official" testing. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Taking it from flat to round