Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NR-555 question
- - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-09-2015 02:27
If any welders here have experience running Lincoln NR-555 wire I'd like to hear your impressions. Or ANY E81T8 wire from ANY manufacturer (that's available in the U.S.).
One thing I'd like to know is if it runs like 232 or more like 203N.
Any other input appreciated. I don't know of anyone who's used it yet, or the Esab version either.

J
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-09-2015 15:58
the T-8 wires aren't like anything else.  If your trying to transition seasoned welders over you're going to have to take them off the line and train them before they can be proficient.

I dont have any personal exsperiance with 555 but 232, 233, and core shield 8 i probably have a couple thousand pounds under my belt by now
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-09-2015 16:51
Instant thread drift! : )

Looking for personal experience with E81TX-X wires from any manufacturer.

J
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-10-2015 00:20
Hey JT,

I've been asking around and haven't found any welders that have used that particular electrode.  You picked a good one here.  I'll keep looking.

I haven't used it myself so can be of no help and won't offer you off the hip advice.  Your too good to need that.  (meant sincerely not sarcastically)

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-10-2015 00:42
Well Brent I'd never even heard of it, but it's the only 80ksi self shielded wire Lincoln lists. And our specs call for an 80 series for the 572 gr.65. I'd like to find a suitable replacement for the 8018 I'm using now.
I don't know of anyone, or anyone who knows anyone, or anyone who's heard of anyone, who's used any self shielded FC in 80. So I might have to try them all out myself.

Not that it matters but we've been using T-8's, 203N & 232,since about '91. But NR-232 isn't NR-555, or Fabshield X80. Just looking at the parameters I get the impression they are quite a bit different, maybe not. I guess we'll find out when I get the time : )

J
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-10-2015 14:51
Yeah, I've used the others too though not as much as your crews do.  And, I've used the 80 series in dual shield but not the T-8.  Is it for an application with Demand Critical welds?

Brent
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-11-2015 01:25
Brent I don't have "crews" these days, since the crash we've worked hard to just have "A" crew.

But yes they are by definition demand critical tho not called out as such on the drawings. We're talking about relatively small upgrades to existing monopole bases.

What 80 series dual shield wire have you used and how did you like it??
Lot's of options in gas shielded FC, but that can be problematic out in the breeze where we work. I hate to tent, but will if it makes economical sense.

I'm willing to take personal comments on 80 ksi gas shielded FC at this point as well.

Still gonna try out the various 80ksi self shielded wires, just because.

John
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-11-2015 02:25
Hello John, I have held off on a response to this yet as I have not even seen the NR-555 that you inquired about although I would surmise that it has a nickel based alloy component to it. I have run and seen testing done with the FC-gas shielded 80 series wire, in particular, a nickel-type wire that was being considered for use on wind towers. I am pretty sure that it was an ESAB branded wire but can't remember the exact specifics of the number designation. In this case I believe that it was specified for use due to the steel having a european alloy designation and the 80 series wire being determined as a reasonable match.

When I ran this particular wire I remember it as being a bit "runny" compared to most FC-gas wires, or should I say, it didn't like to apply very flatly, at least in the vertical position, it tended to push out in the center. It also didn't "wet out" as well as many of the other wires do and was not very tolerant of mill scale and other surface contaminants.

I just looked through the ESAB Filler Metal Date Book and I believe that the wire that they were using was the: Dual Shield II 81-K2, it is on pg. 5-29 of the book. I'll see what else that I can find out from the company that was using this. I believe that Low-temperature charpy impact values were one of the points of importance for their decision to go with this wire. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-11-2015 23:54
aevald,

Boy I'd really rather not use a gas shielded wire, we went thru that years ago and the wind shield requirements kill the advantage in depo rate, imo. But I work in places where the breeze is really breezy most days.
And those constricted access joints are a major pain to remove any porosity from lack of shielding, especially when it has to be done via die grinder due to fire restrictions. I think I'll live with stick rod instead.

Lincoln touts the flat contour in verticals:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/Consumable_Flux-CoredWires-Self-Shielded-Innershield-InnershieldNR-555/c3200019.pdf

we'll see.

J
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2015 03:07
I didn't realize you had to cut back that far.  I know we made quite a cut but we were in a very different market and a small community. 

Anyway, I'll have to look up the numbers.  I'm pretty sure it was a Lincoln product.  Maybe the same as Schuff uses on Demand Critical welds.  I'll get their electrode specs as well.

Allan makes good points about it's characteristics.  The nickel makes it respond a little different than a 71-T1 for instance.  But most respectable welders can get a handle on it and do quite well.  Now, as Allan mentioned, vertical can be more difficult.  Schuff mainly goes flat and vertical.

I'll keep looking for info on the self shielded also.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-11-2015 04:54
I didn't have to "cut back that far", we've always been a pretty small, tight bunch.
Keep it small and keep it all, as they say : )

J
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-11-2015 13:55
Good topic JT! I'll be watching this one! We did a monopole in Arkansas last summer, 5 foot stiffener times 6. Thought of how nice a wire feeder would have been. Also run across the "80 Series" in the prints from time to time and wonder about the wire I would use or that is available.

Shawn
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2015 15:36

>I might have to try them all out myself.

Throw a roll on the ole feeder and let us know how it goes. :grin:

I looked the NR-555 pdf over on Lincoln's site, seemed  to me that the voltage was fairly low for the diameter...compared to FCAW wires that I am used to.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-11-2015 23:43
Throw a roll on the ole feeder and let us know how it goes. :grin:

That would seem to be the proper path.
When time allows, right now I'm in the process of pacifying the irs and that takes waaaaaay too much of our time.
I agree the Lincoln parameters seem a bit different.
Hopefully this 555 is the best thing since sliced bread : )

J
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NR-555 question