Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SNT-TC-1A Vision Exam ~ Color Contrast ~ Shades Of Gray
- - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-14-2015 17:16
The ASNT recommended practice references tests for color contrast and shades of gray: "The examination should demonstrate the
capability of distinguishing and differentiating contrast among colors or shades of gray used in the method as determined by the employer.
This should be conducted upon initial certification and at five year intervals thereafter."  I'm curious what type of chart is being used by others to satisfy the examination for the 'shades of gray' requirement.  Below is some background.

Currently we use the Ishihara 38 plate test for red/green, and use a density film strip for shades of gray.  Basically an overlay sheet of clear plastic is placed over the density strip and the inspector has to outline each step (or block) of density change from black to clear.  At a recent audit, the AI mentioned the gray scale examination and did not totally buy in to our method, although he could not suggest an alternate.... only to say this is a topic he has noticed surfacing during reviews by The National Board auditors.

Our dry MT methods utilizes red, yellow, or gray powders, with white contrast paint as an option when using red powder.  Wet visible MT methods utilizes white contrast paint and black spray.  Wet fluorescent MT utilizes a black light to view the fluorescent particles.  Our PT method utilizes red dye and the solvent removable or water removable penetrants, and the standard white developer.  Looking at the inquiries below, one school of thought is to to expand the current examinations to include a series of flash cards (printed on good quality photo paper) with colored lines of various length and orientation, or possibly actual photographs of actual indications.  And maybe create something more random than a film density strip that showed various shades of gray.

Searching ASNT inquiries led me to these Q&A:

Inquiry:12-6
(Is it the intent of 8.2 that an NDT personnel shall be qualified for all colours contrast differentiating?)
RESPONSE
Paragraph 8.2 says that the color contrast differentiation examination should demonstrate the capability of distinguishing and differentiating contrast among colors or shades of gray used in the method as determined by the employer.

Inquiry:12-7
(Is a UT personnel unable to distinguish and differentiate green and red color contrast disqualified to perform UT?)
RESPONSE
No. The employer may perform additional examinations to determine whether or not the applicant can operate the equipment and properly evaluate resulting data.)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2015 17:32
Removing ASME and company QC manuals and audits from the equation, both AWS and ASNT leave final determination to the employer who then has the responsibility to make sure the inspector can competently complete the work assigned to them.  The codes for both say that a color perception test is included in the eye exam but that alone is not a determining factor upon qualification and/or certification documented through the applicable organization.  They only pass the buck on down to the employer to make sure you can do your job. 

Now, as to how ASME, AI's, and auditors are applying this, it will largely depend upon how it is written in your QC program/manual that they are comparing compliance to.  You may need to work on the wording and application of your QC program to make sure it includes training and/or testing that will prove ability for those who find themselves color perception challenged as WE get a little older. 

It is not really up to the auditor in most circumstances, as long as a company has a QC program that states guidelines for making sure of ability then the employer has done their due diligence.  But, when dealing with insurance companies, boiler programs, AI's, etc things may be quite different than what I am used to.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-14-2015 18:36
Thanks Brent,

In the qualification and certification section of the QA Manual, we pretty much follow the recommendations of the SNT-TC-1A document, and reference the standard color testing methods.  It seems that every couple of years, both the authorized agencies and The National Board have a few particular audit points that the auditors focus on.... and the gray shade is the flavor of the month so to speak.  What it boils down to is we have a policy using the film density strip, and pardon the pun... but one AI is implying it is a gray area.   I was hoping someone else has a better idea or at least one that has been accepted.  It would be a totally different situation if we did not address the gray shade at all and had to amend a paragraph to address it.

That said, I usually apply some professional resistance when at the whim of a single auditor, changes are discussed/recommended.  If it ain't broke so to speak, it don't need fixin'.  Another reason that comes to mind.... a QA manual is a controlled document, and if a company has 30 or 40 approved manuals already in circulation, another auditor or a customer reviewer may not go along with changes.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2015 18:47
So true. 

Hopefully one of the guys who deals with these regularly will be along shortly.  Though it may be Monday or later.

Brent
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-14-2015 19:14
I did stumble upon this chart called The Accu-Chart Gray Scale target.  Just thinking out loud... but maybe a series of random numbers in each band on the top row, and a series of random letters in band of the lower row. The inspector would have to match-up each shade in each row so an answer sheet might look like 27=D, 11=Q and so forth.

Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-14-2015 21:50 Edited 03-14-2015 22:01
Or another option would be 3 or 4 questions based on shapes in the chart. EDIT:  Heck, maybe just two questions... something like "how many columns of different shades appear from left to right across the top half of this chart?" and "excluding rectangles or squares, how many other shapes appear on the chart"

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2015 01:26
AWS is adding a requirement to QC1 requiring the gray scale be included in the visual acuity test. I was against it, but I was in the minority.

As you said, it is the buzzword of the week and everyone seems to jump on the band wagon. Next week it will be something different; maybe an anal probe.

Al
Parent - By trapdoor (**) Date 03-16-2015 20:42
Hey Al,

That is interesting. Do you remember the reasoning of those in favor of such a change?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2015 14:01
I'm surprised they haven't gone to the J1 instead of J2 to match up with ASNT.  But, then we could get one eye test for everything all at once.  I try to anyway, my eye doctor is very co-operative. 

Brent
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-18-2015 00:07
I'm looking at the 2011 SNT-TC-1A, and it calls out J-2.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2015 15:14
This is for the ACCP VT level II.  While my company QC manual outlines my training, testing, etc requirements to be a level II I also pay ASNT to carry their card stating my level II status.  Just checked and the ASNT site for ACCP VT does call it out as Jaeger J1.

Brent
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 04-05-2015 02:23
Anyone ever notice how when a strip chart like these are looked at how where the different densities meet, on the lighter side it appears to be a bit darker while on the darker side it appears to be a bit lighter? This can be extremely obvious when trying to look at a density strip on a view light. If you lay something opaque on either side of the strips they are actually the same density all the way across. Sometimes, welds get rejected for incomplete fusion or internal undercut because of this optical illusion. Maybe you don't see this. I know how hard it is to convince someone who has their hearts set on rejecting welds that this is what has happened. This illusion is especially prevalent when you have pipe butt welds with hi-lo in them.

Just my experience.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-15-2015 13:18
Well, a little search time this Sunday morning yielded this chart, which at the time of publication appears to have been circulated by OneCIS/TÜV NORD.  I like the "...may be distributed free of charge. Not for sale." statement.  The .pdf file I found is hi-res, I re-sized it smaller, and changed it to a .jpeg file to display here.  The .pdf should print up nicely on good quality photographic paper.

Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-16-2015 12:59
As a certified painting inspector through SSPC, I found it interesting that a painting inspector does not have any visual inspection requirement to inspect paint and that CWI's do to inspect welds.  Personally I think it's a good idea, especially if nothing else as to confirm that at that time of the visual test the inspector could see.  We all know there is a lot if CYA in this industry, so at a minimum the visual test confirmed one could meet the minimum requirement and have it documented.
But as it's written technically a paint inspector could be blind and if he could pass the written and performance test still get certified.  Especially with all the different colors of paint, textures of finishes and types of lighting.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SNT-TC-1A Vision Exam ~ Color Contrast ~ Shades Of Gray