Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / saw cutting oils
- - By Dualie (***) Date 03-17-2015 06:36
Since theres no really good fabrication tool forums. 

we finally upgraded our sawing around the shop from old marvel 8's to a new hydmech beast.    Whats everyone running for cutting lube in their band saws?

we currently use this orange water soluble cutting oil but I'm not that happy with it or our supplier on it.    I have heard things about animal fat based lubricants, and something about green cutting fluid.

I'm looking for any input here.  if you some you love please mention it.  if you have some you hate mention that also.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-17-2015 15:05
Hello Dualie, for quite some time now we've been getting SharpCool from Fastenal for use in our bandsaw. It is a synthetic cutting oil that you mix with water and it has been doing a good job for us. It does "evaporate" over time, but mainly the water portion of it is what evaporates, then we simply add more water to reconstitute it and when the color looks too diluted we add more of the cutting fluid. It is also resistant to forming algaes and other sorts of things that make old cutting oils hard to be around.

I have used various soluble oils in the past and they do work well enough, however, I believe that they become contaminated much more quickly over time and in my estimate are much "dirtier" to work around. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2015 15:31
I agree with Allan, the water diluted synthetics work well for me and the oil based ones go rancid and smell terrible.  The oils are also harder to deal with for cleaning after the sawing in order to prep for welding and/or painting. 

In AZ the water can evaporate pretty fast so if you aren't cutting a lot you will need to add water a couple of times before you finally need to add more fluid concentrate.  Normally we did a couple of batches before totally cleaning to get all the saw chips out of the tank.  Keep the top parts of your saw cleaned or you can get rusting issues. 

My blades last longer as well.  We had a Wellsaw.  We used to order blades and fluid from... Cut Technologies??? I'll have to look that up.  I can't find them on the web.  Found some place in Canada but they were in Seattle I think.  I'll let you know.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-17-2015 20:30
Just acquired a "new" saw... Was a toss-up between a Hydro-Mech, Ellis or Roll-in.......Needed something to cut stair channel on a bevel without having to move vice..( swivel head) and had to cut up to 12" wide..... Ended up with a Roll-in , mainly because of their history of being in business and availability of parts plus MADE IN U.S.A. ( Cleveland, Ohio , but still American)......Running Lennox Soluble oil seems to be running good,not running thru blades as with our old saw. ( 8" Jet)......:cool:
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 03-17-2015 20:55
Dualie,
Are horizontal saws (2) run 12 hrs per/day cutting some pretty heavy duty materials. We are using Perkins Perkool 714 semi-synthetic water based cutting fluid with rust preventive.

We get this in 55 gallon drums. Not sure of your usage. We have used Fuchs Ecocool as well.

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / saw cutting oils