Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 T, Y, K
- - By DH Date 03-19-2015 01:00
This question was asked before, and I cannot find the post again.

Someone asked in this forum if a flare-V qualifies for T, Y, K fillets (don't need CJP; don't need to do the 6G/6GR test).

The answer was a simple, "Yes".

Can anyone verify this?

If yes, where is this information found/documented?

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-19-2015 03:37
This may be what you are after:  https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=154897;hl=flare%20T%5c-Y%5c-K

It was the closest I could find but not sure how it applies to D1.2. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By DH Date 03-19-2015 16:25
Thanks Brent. This wasn't the one I was thinking of, but it did bring up some very good points. D1.2 might address the fillet weld (tube) brace issue with 2.4.5 and Figure 2.1. AWS could afford to clarify this a bit more. It is surprising sometimes how it reads to many one way, but when the committee clarifies it is not what is expected.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-19-2015 18:32
Two quick questions DH,

Did you check the commentary?

Did you go to aws.org under the ...I'll have to look it up and edit this, but find the drop down for 'Technical Inquiries'.  They have it divided into sections and you can see if there is anything already asked and answered for D1.2 to help you out.

Great, okay, go to the main website, go to 'committees and sections', on the drop down menu go to 'technical committees', then on the left go down to 'Get Available Code Interpretations'.  BUT, there isn't one for D1.2.  I searched the whole thing and couldn't find anything.  So, no answer there. 

You are right, but, our committees are just human too.  Sometimes, when you are the one doing the research and composing of an article, code, etc it just seems so obvious to you that you don't even consider that others aren't going to get it.  And there is no perfect language.  Individuals being what they are for education, experience, language skills, analytical abilities, etc there will always be room for disagreement and difference of opinion.

I'll try a couple of more search parameters and see if I can find the one you asked about.

Brent
Parent - By DH Date 03-19-2015 21:17
I hope I didn't come off as critical of the committee people, I know how difficult it can be. I was on the B5E committee for 3 years. I meant to only comment about hoping the committee clarifies the language in the future.

Thank you for your effort by the way. I did read the entire code, at least once; doesn't mean I haven't missed something. Tried a lot of search parameters framing the question in the AWS forum website, in Bing, and in Google. Was hoping someone might have remembered the original question and had some insight as to where any documentation could support it. Thanks again.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 T, Y, K