Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grill Construction
- - By fed Date 03-26-2003 02:38
hello all you cool welder people... i'm 15 and wanting to learn how to weld... i have a mig welder available at my disposal.. i'm wanting to construct a small grill for practice, but i'm not sure what kind of steel i should use, like what gauge would be proper. does anyone have any suggestions?
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 03-26-2003 03:19
a barbeque grill?
Parent - - By fed Date 03-26-2003 12:27
yes..
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 03-27-2003 02:17
you could use an old 55 gallon drum...those make good grills. just make absolutely sure that you fill it up w/ water and rinse it out before you cut it open so there aren't any flammable vapors inside that could explode.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-27-2003 04:08
I'm one of those folks who thinks that the first project should consist of making a pile of scrap into one piece. Then when you attempt that first real project you'll be able to weld well enough that it will turn out well enough to keep.

12 ga makes a nice rugged BBQ.

Bill
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-21-2003 19:25
Ok if you want to do it the right way and make a decent bbq pit you get that heavy oil field pipe about 2 or 3 feet in diameter and about 3/8 inch thick and weld some plate on the sides and get some hard pipe for the legs but knotch them right but don't f**k up .trust me! and then make all of your little attatchments for finishing up and then sandblast it and prime then paint it I made hundreds of pits and people come back to me to this date and tell me how good those pits are but their kind of on the heavy side but you can put some wheels on the pipe on the bottom and believe me there are people that come back to me just to tell me how good the pits were from 10 years ago and they still have them because those little 55 gallon drums aren't worth two cents they rust and they are too light but anyways
Parent - By dee (***) Date 07-21-2003 20:38
I agree with Mr Vanderhoof about making one piece of scrap out of many as a first project. Mine had a bead along one face spelling out "E PLURIBUS UNUM" and it also worked great for cutting practice...at the right angle and with enough imagination it even looked a little like an eagle.

Selecting the material for your project will have something to do with the welding equipment you have available. For various reasons I have found "gauge thick" steel harder than "fractional" thicknesses to weld (it's nt the unit of measure that makes it difficult, it's the thickness; the somewhat heavier stuff, closer to 1/8 inch, is easier)

Black Iron pipe is easy to get hold of and will weld nicely, but keep away from anything with plating on it, like chrome, cadmium, or zinc, and, if you choose to clean the steel before welding, and you should, be careful about what you use- some solvent residues can be highly toxic when exposed to arc energy.

good luck
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grill Construction