Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6061 GTAW & GMAW AWS D1.2 advice
- - By FinishLine (*) Date 03-29-2015 14:18
Good morning guys!

I'm getting ready to purchase the material to qualify my first AWS D1.2 procedures. Thought I'd check in here and see if anybody has some practical advice for me. I've heard of guys having troubles meeting the tensile requirements using TIG, wondering what other show stoppers are out there.

Code: AWS D1.2, 2014 ed.
Material: 3/8 plate 6061-T6, m23
Processes: manual GTAW, & semi automatic GMAW-P (Miller 350-P with aluma pro gun)
Positions: 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G
Filler metal: ER4043
PWHT: none, testing will be performed in as welded condition

Thoughts? How many of you guys have been down this road?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-29-2015 20:23
Clean, clean, and reclean just before welding.

Preclean with a solvent. I use acetone to preclean and follow that with isopropyl alcohol (90%).

Soak all tools in isopropyl alcohol before use and between use.

Draw file (Vixen file) all surfaces that will be welded, i.e., root face, groove face, etc.

Wire brush all surfaces with a stainless steel brush. Bare down on the forward stroke toward the weld groove. Lift the brush on the back stroke.

Cool between each weld bead. Look in D1.2 to see the limitations on time at temperature. In short, the mechanical properties are degraded by over aging at higher temperatures. I use blowers to hasten cooling between weld beads.

Use stainless steel wool to preclean the filler rod when welding with GTAW. Presoak the stainless steel wool before using. You can purchase the stainless steel wool from any marine paint/supply vendor.

Wear clean lint free fabric gloves while welding and handling the filler metal or parts to be welded.

Cross your fingers and go for it.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6061 GTAW & GMAW AWS D1.2 advice