Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Hot Tacking
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-31-2015 02:09 Edited 03-31-2015 02:14
In another set of posts on here "10 lb'ers" and "hot tacks" were discussed. I had a little time and came up with this little bit of information and an illustration to cover a small facet of how this might be applied or work.

You don't always want to use a "10 lb'er" however there are those instances where that too is a requirement. In those instances you'll probably also be applying "welds" and not just "tacks" when you are trying to bring something into line.

I should add that a "backer" or "dolly" is often desirable when you are "massaging" things into alignment to assist with moving the metal around more efficiently. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-31-2015 03:02
To go along with the previous post that I made in this thread, I have included another sketch to illustrate a slightly different application of this method. Most of the time where this would be used there is not a need for a "backer" or a "dolly", but when the time comes to employ this you'll likely be able to determine whether that is applicable or not. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-31-2015 03:10
I might add, that when you are doing welding/fitting of sheetmetal items with corners as shown in the preceeding example that it is often a good idea, after tacking, to do your internal fillet welds first and then grind the tacks out so that you can have a smooth and uninterrupted bead on the outside corner portion of your weld outs.

If you are not doing internal fillets it is still a good idea to carefully remove some of the weld material from the tacks before welding over the top of the particular seam. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-31-2015 14:39
Great illustrations to give visual to the discussion Allan.

I would comment that most of my 'hammering' was actually with a 4 pounder, not, as mentioned, a 10 pounder. 

Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2015 00:45
Excellent post.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Hot Tacking