Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ConXTech
- - By apodesta (*) Date 04-01-2015 20:22
Anyone have any experience with the ConXTech structural steel system?

http://www.conxtech.com/

I was curious about compliance with AISC joint design, types of welds used during fab, NDT, etc...

An associate of mine will be supporting a project where this will be used for the structural steel...

I'm sure the project specifications will include AISC 360, 341, AWS D1.8, etc...

Any feedback is appreciated...

Thanks...

-A
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2015 20:40 Edited 04-02-2015 13:13
So, you wouldn't happen to work for these guys?  :lol:

Since you aren't a newbie here I went ahead and checked out the site from your link.  (Not a bad site)

Since their system is AISC Approved, OSHPD approved, DSA approved, and LA City approved along with their fabrication facility being a Pre-Approved/Certified Fabricator by AISC, LADBS, and Canadian Welding Bureau I would say they have their ducks in a row and are a reliable contractor. (mostly CA interests: hospitals, schools, Los Angeles City)

This doesn't mean they will be perfect or don't need watching.  But it does mean they have done their due diligence on the paperwork side. 

BUT, NO, I don't have any experience with them personally.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2015 11:28 Edited 04-02-2015 11:35
I looked at the site too,  they are the competition for me, sort of  :)

I noted that they are hanging steel in the most rigorous seismic zones. That's at least a good sign.

I would really like to get a peek at their "robotic" CJP splicing of hot roll and end plate connections.   I've seen similar CNC hot roll cutting and coping with Python-X (recently purchased by Lincoln)... But the CJP welding raises so many questions, from a process control and cycle/tact time perspective.
Parent - By apodesta (*) Date 04-02-2015 21:47
Hahaha, naw I don't work for them...

I had a guy I used to work for/with, with whom I am still in contact, ask me about the system...

I *did* see some of their projects were in areas where seismic activity was a consideration...

We were both wondering if this design would result in an increase or decrease in NDT...

My best guess would be a little more NDT performed in the shop and a little less in the field...

They state they can maintain some pretty tight tolerances.  A lot could hinge on base plate anchor bolts...

Thanks for the responses...

-A
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ConXTech