Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / MATERIALS CHARACTERIZATION
- - By Inspector Date 04-08-2015 22:38
Characterization, when used in materials science, refers to the broad and general process by which a material's structure and properties are probed and measured. It is a fundamental process in the field of materials science, without which no scientific understanding of engineering materials could be ascertained. The scope of the term often differs; some definitions limit the term's use to techniques which study the microscopic structure and properties of materials, while others use the term to refer to any materials analysis process including macroscopic techniques such as mechanical testing, thermal analysis and density calculation. The scale of the structures observed in materials characterization ranges from angstroms, such as in the imaging of individual atoms and chemical bonds, up to centimeters, such as in the imaging of coarse grain structures in metals.
While many characterization techniques have been practiced for centuries, such as basic optical microscopy, new techniques and methodologies are constantly emerging. In particular the advent of the electron microscopeand Secondary ion mass spectrometry in the 20th century has revolutionized the field, allowing the imaging and analysis of structures and compositions on much smaller scales than was previously possible, leading to a huge increase in the level of understanding as to why different materials show different properties and behaviors. More recently, atomic force microscopy has further increased the maximum possible resolution for analysis of certain samples in the last 30 years.
Microscopy
Microscopy is a category of characterization techniques which probe and map the surface and sub-surface structure of a material. These techniques can use photons , electrons , ions or physical cantilever probes to gather data about a sample's structure on a range of length scales. Some common examples of microscopy instruments include:
•  Optical Microscope
•  Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
•  Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM)
•  Field Ion Microscope (FIM)
•  Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)
•  Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)
•  X-ray diffraction topography (XRT)
Spectroscopy
This group of techniques use a range of principles to reveal the chemical composition, composition variation, crystal structure and photoelectric properties of materials. Some common instruments include:
•  Energy-Dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX)
•  Wavelength Dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (WDX)
•  X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)
•  Mass spectrometry
•  Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS)
•  Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS)
•  Auger electron spectroscopy
•  X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
•  Ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy (UV-vis)
•  thermoluminescence (TL)
•  photoluminescence (PL)
Macroscopic Testing
A huge range of techniques are used to characterize various macroscopic properties of materials, including:
•  Mechanical testing, including tensile, compressive, torsional, creep, fatigue, toughness and hardness testing
•  Differential thermal analysis (DTA)
•  Dielectric thermal analysis
•  Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA)
•  Impulse excitation technique (IET)
(Reference: Wikipedia)
​For more information please read the Volume 10 of ASM Metals Handbook " Materials Characterization".
Best Regards,
Pejman Malekinejad.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-09-2015 03:30
Pejman,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

With an opening like that we can see information you want to share without going to a link that we don't know. 

This section was a good choice. 

The link and personal intro information you sent me would probably go good under 'blogs' (just my personal opinion). 

I also looked you up on Linked In.  Read your profile there.  For your information, though much briefer than the profile page on Linked In, if you were to include information about yourself in your profile here so we can check you out it would have helped avoid the previous situation.  Hard to know who we are dealing with when they leave all the fields blank.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-09-2015 04:29
Having gone about 1/2 way through the link you sent me in the pm, I would offer this observation, this is not Linked In.  Nor, is this Facebook.

Mostly people come here with questions and we attempt to help them or at least guide them in the correct direction for self discovery.  Your link does some of that, but not many will go through that and then keep it to look up anything in the future. 

Much of your information reads like a Looking for Employment ad.  While we don't mind people coming here and asking about work opportunities, don't expect much information about things going on in Iran. 

Your observations of publications, codes, etc are very basic and well known here in the states. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Inspector Date 04-09-2015 06:31
Dear Brent,
Hi. Thanks for your guides to AWS welding forum. They are really helpful. Also your scientific comments and criticisms about the stuff on my website are valuable. These information need to be reviewed, verified and revised by other scientists.

Best Regards,
Pejman Malekinejad.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-09-2015 08:43
That's fabulous...
However, if Brent hasn't already told you this, please do not post the same exact post in every section that will allow you to do so because typically when regulars like myself for instance start going through all of the various section in this forum, if there's an active post icon showing next to any of the sections, yet the only reason that most of the sections are showing these icons is because of repeatedly posting the same post in every section and that is the only reason why there's an active post icon - it becomes very frustrating and wastes a lot of my own personal time and this is probably the same sort of frustration amongst many if not all of my friends in here who are regular contributors to the forum also..

I highly suggest that you go over the forum rules with a fine toothed comb in order for you to better understand the do's and don'ts that are either allowed or frowned upon in the AWS forum... Other than that, "Weldcome" to the AWS forum and next time post a link to an article or start a discussion on a specific topic in here section regarding welding metallurgy because after all, this is the world's greatest WELDING forum of the American Welding Society.:grin::wink::cool: You can do the same in any of the other sections so long as you limit the discussion to any topics pertaining to the specific subject section you choose to post in.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Inspector Date 04-09-2015 09:07
Dear Brent,
About the sentence of “ Your observations of publications, codes, etc are very basic and well known here in the states.  “, what I can tell you is that AWS is an American organization and its codes and standards are for the use inside USA. Therefore it is natural that my introduction of AWS standards and codes are basic for you which are inside USA and have applied them there since they are regulated by Americans.  But please consider that most of them are not internationally used, known, agreed and accepted. For example Iran has its own codes and standards like (ISIRI, IPS, IGS…), UK, Germany and other European countries have their own codes and standards like (BS, NORSKE, DIN, EN, ISO…) and so on. As far as I know, the knowledge about these AWS stuff was little internationally and because of this I decided to introduce them for international use. I hope this to satisfy you.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-09-2015 12:38
Pej,

My observations are due to the FACT that this particular forum is very largely concerning the 'AMERICAN' Welding Society as opposed to the higher international participation of Linked In.  Most members are interested in the AWS Codes since we live and work here besides the FACT that you are in a forum created by the AWS to help answer questions largely about their codes and applications. 

So, as we MAY have jumped the gun a bit with the earlier complaints I was giving you room to see what you were all about.

As I have already observed and stated, you are mainly a advertisement for yourself and your current job search.  Your boasting of yourself is not without some merit but gets a bit monotonous in all the pics of yourself every one titled 'Me at work'.  I would rather see titles of what the project is and how it may interest the viewer.

Secondly, as Lawrence observed, though we know you are unemployed, you seem really driven by Bhoeler products. 

In your criticism of us when you were originally given the boot as a 'spammer' you stated your first post was not spam and was of scientific value.  Personally, I haven't seen any yet.  Your several posts have been far from impressive.  It is true there has been some limited information of interest to some but when you just put it up on a forum as general information and it does not relate to someone's question then it will have very limited value. 

Yes, I know other places have their own codes, such as they are.  Some good, some satisfactory, some greatly lacking.  That ladder is why so many around the world are adopting the AWS Codes and qualifying welders and inspectors to American codes and standards.  So when you come to a strongly American forum and give basic information about American codes we are going to see it as it is...BASIC.  Those on this forum who do work internationally work to other codes such as ASME, API, and as you said, EN, ISO, etc. 

You don't have to satisfy me.  But, if you came here to impress anyone with your knowledge and wisdom, and intended to impart some great direction to us, you have not been successful thus far. 

My two tin pennies worth.

Brent
Parent - - By Inspector Date 04-09-2015 16:00
Dear Brent,
For your criticism the followings should be considered:
1-  I want to clarify, would you please tell me which part of my data is boasting?
2-  In the case of pictures on Linkedin, you were correct, then I have changed the titles from “It’s me at work” to the place of work. It is more illustrative in this way.
3-  Many of my posts here are solutions. They are good solutions to common problems in welding. I have worked in the welding industry and I know the common problems. Infact every body who worked in the welding industry have dealt with such problems. Many of these solutions are in AWS publications. Some are not. I will also participate in answering questions in the forums. I have read some questions in the forum and found them very easy to answer.
4-  I don’t know your level of understanding of welding. But I have connections with welding professionals inside USA who were very interested in my posts. I can forward the requests to you if required. One request was from Inspectioneering journal in USA. Some other related internationally recognized companies are also interested in my posts. I have many promotional requests in LinkedIn which asked me for more posts. For example CPN (Cathodic Protection Network, International) has requested my posts and they gave me a paid webpage for the posts. (http://www.pipeline-corrosion-control.com/) . You can find my name there with link to my website. I do not know, may be you are highly qualified. Your scientific and professional comment  of “My two tin pennies worth” is respected. That is your professional idea. Every body can make professional criticisms and other judge.
5-  I do not work for Boehler. I am just interested in scientific matters presented in their catalogs. I have good job offers. If you give me your email address I can forward the most recent one. It is a contract which needs my signature. But currently I am a student at the university for the degree of Master of science in Materials Science and Engineering which will complete within next months.
Thanks for the time spending on my case. It is really appreciated.
Best Regards,
Pejman Malekinejad.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-09-2015 19:53
Pejman,
You're still wet behind the ears for crying out loud! And you are way too insulting to be of any help, or to be of any value in here so far... First off, it doesn't matter if you are a professor emeritus of welding engineering or material science or a soon to graduate Mat Sci student in here - you need to learn how to be less annoying to the rest of us with your rather stale information that can be found in the search function within many threads saved in the forum and your audacious attitude towards Americans who don't always work to other standards besides the AWS... Brent is absolutely correct in his explanation as well as his opinion regarding your attitude and your choice of information you choose to post... So I would agree and second his last post/response, and you should count it as a learning experience in how to present yourself regardless of how many people or organizations that are interested in wanting to share your articles and papers...

If you really want to try and fit in and be welcomed then I would suggest that you pick a topic, and express what you would like to read from other folks in here regarding their opinions on the topic you wish to start a discussion about... You will find much more willingness to participate in your posts if you follow my suggestion as well as following the suggestions of the other regulars such as Brent and Lawrence who are trying to educate you on how to post topics in this forum...

On a different note... Do you currently live in Iran? If you do, then may I remind everyone of who you are communicating with in here because unless we find out more about this poster's real intent, we should be very careful what we share with this individual...
We need to remember that the government of Iran is currently and willingly attempting to disrupt the various cyber networks of our own government and that they're also attacking commercial networks also.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Inspector Date 04-09-2015 20:37
Dear Henry,
I appreciate and thank all educating stuff.
Best Regards,
Pejman Malekinejad.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 04-10-2015 05:17
Is it me or does it seem like hes running all his posts through a translator app?
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-10-2015 19:57
Dualie,
agreed
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-10-2015 20:02
Henry,
my very good friend
totally agree with everything you have posted with regard to Pejman
glad to see your comments here and all the best my friend:grin::cool:
sincerely,
Kent