Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / What's it worth
- - By JLWelding (***) Date 04-18-2015 00:01
I am going to look at a I think is a SA400, it has a 4 cylinder diesel eng Its a big hunk of welding machine. I am guessing 1962-66 just going by looks. It runs good, it welds but he says not very well. I ask him what he wanted and he came back with make me a offer. So I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 04-18-2015 07:06
well here local the bottom feeder scrap yards are giving $0.01 per LB for steel scrap  i would figure electric motor scrap to be around $0.20 - $0.25 per lb.
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 04-19-2015 01:26
Thanks real helpful
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-19-2015 01:57
That's a pretty wide open question JL.  Especially without even a picture to go by.

Supply and demand, proximity to you (especially if you are in need of one), engine condition, generator condition, overall appearance, actual age (can be determined from serial #), and little things like are there any leads with it, electrodes, is it on a trailer or just the unit, etc.

Sorry, I wouldn't even hazard a guess.  Hopefully some of the guys that are always buying and selling can be of more help.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Dualie (***) Date 04-19-2015 02:30
I was basing my guess off of welds but not good.     could be a giant pile of scrap metal requiring more in repair $$$ than it will ever be worth.
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 04-20-2015 15:04
I went and looked at it and its a little rough, no rust, it is a SA 300 and it is a 4 cylinder diesel on a homemade two axle trailer I failed to check make of motor. You have to manual set the high idle before you weld, it has a handle you pull and set in a notch. Makes since they didn't have electric high idle in that day. It welds like a dream, I have never welded with a machine that smooth. The code is 7858
I made him a offer of finishing a gate entrance he started, (he cant weld worth a damn I'll say that) he turned that down so I just told him if he gets ready to sell to give me a call.
The part about machine not welding was operator error, he was trying to use 7018AC and 6011AC rods on magnetic oil field pipe. I sure thought about telling him it was junk and beyond repair but could not do that.
The guy is a foreman at a lignite plant here in Lincoln Tx (Alcoa plant) he bought it and a D8 dozer from a contractor that didn't want to haul it back north, said he bought it for practically nothing so if he finishes that gate job I am going to hit him up again.
And to be that old no oil leaks at all. The valve cover gasket has a small seep and one or two other places but no visible leaks.
Oh, the hour meter 375 hr. if that is correct. I think it is because the machine has been repainted and you can see paint flakes on the meter it's self. It was yellow original, that's the color under the latest yellow paint job. 
Thanks
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-21-2015 03:31
Interesting.

I had an SAE 300 (?, I think I got the letters right there) with a six cylinder Continental, 244 I believe.  Been over 20 years ago.  It was a 1954 model.  Ran great, welded great, and would run for days on that fuel tank (about 20 gal) using 3/32, 1/8, and 5/32 7018 electrodes and some air arc. 

Nope, no electric idle but it did have a high/low idle either manually set and locked or automatic.  Vacuum operated I believe.  Biggest problem I had was a couple of times the magneto needed work. 

It was mounted on a great 6 X 12 tandem axle trailer and came with couple of hundred feet of leads and lots of OLD electrodes.  Paid $500 for it... back in 1983 or 84.  Sold it in '96.  Worst sale I ever made.  Should have kept that machine.  If you couldn't pass a test with it you just plain didn't know how to weld.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-15-2015 15:21
All the diesels I've welded with required the engine to be "wide open". Diesels don't rev up and down as quickly as a gasoline engine.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / What's it worth