Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Questions on becoming a pipe welder
- - By jclark90 Date 04-24-2015 21:52
First time posting here and I'm not sure where to put these questions, but first I'll start with some background:

I only started welding about a year ago but for whatever reason, pipe welding has always been an interest and sort of end-goal of mine.  I've taken courses in MIG, TIG and stick including two classes each covering 2G and 5G pipe positions respectively (schedule 80(?), non-coupon mild steel pipe SMAW; one 1/32'' 6010 root pass with five 1/8'' 7018 cover passes).  I saw a lot of personal success and improvement during the 5G course, and I probably would have had my pipe welding certification from this institution (not AWS certification) already if my remaining classes weren't canceled en masse this past semester due to lack of enrollment.

Now I have a few questions:
I'm looking to get a production welding job (probably mainly MIG and possibly some TIG) in my general area relatively soon just to get some experience in a factory environment.  Should I look for AWS pipe welding certification in the meantime while working as a way to get my foot into the door while looking for pipe welding positions?  There aren't really any pipe welding opportunities in my area.

Does pipe welding have any sort of apprenticeship programs?

Does anyone who has had experience pipe welding (underwater wet/dry or otherwise) feel like sharing their experiences with me?  I'm not entirely sure about what to do when preparing to seek employment as a pipe welder.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 04-24-2015 23:22 Edited 04-25-2015 00:10
Hard to answer as the answer will vary a lot regionally.

My advice is to go to a good school and become very competent welding pipe of various sizes and thicknesses (both carbon and stainless), and become competent with all common welding processes in all positions, on thick and thin material.  Get competent with a torch in all positions and with an air arc in all positions.  In addition I would recommend getting measuring and basic math (including right angle trig) down cold.  Also blueprint reading.  Welding symbols are a plus too.

After that I would enter the field.

This can be tough to do as there may seem a million reasons why that is not feasible now... however it generally is even less feasible while trying to get all that in while working fulltime.

I can't remember ever talking to anyone, ever, who told me they regretted that they had gotten a solid education behind them.

All that aside, I would talk to the local pipefitters union apprenticeship coordinator about what you want to do and ask what their recommendations are.  If you want to be a pipe welder, I would still recommend completing a solid course of study in welding before starting work, union or otherwise, though.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 04-27-2015 18:27
I recommend either getting into a pipefitter's apprenticeship program or hiring on with a pipe welder as a helper to learn the ropes. As a general rule, pipe welding usually pays more than structural welding, so good choice!
Also, you mention an AWS pipe welding certification, remember that AWS is mostly for structural welding. Most pipe welding jobs will be governed by an ASME or API certification.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-27-2015 18:49
jclark,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

The others have made some good and true comments.  AWS's main PIPE cert is actually from D1.1 and is applicable to structural welding.  It will, on occasion, be accepted by an engineer in order to work a pipe job but if you really want to weld pipe, get ASME and API qualified/certified.  Which one will depend more specifically upon what you want to do.  You may need/want both of them and there are sub categories. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-28-2015 09:48
When it comes to "Pipe-type" welding apprenticeships and the organized trades, I recommend the Boilermakers Union building and trades (I've worked construction and industrial maintenance most of my life). Retire at 55 with medical is pretty appealing.

Since you are just starting out, many shops will hire you into the structural side before progressing to the pipe side.
Gotta start someplace right?

What is it about the whole "PipeWelder" thing? Must confess, I too fell prey to this, but more out of basic finances than any other. Hey someone's gonna pay me 10-20% more to go roundy round... SURE thing, I'll do it. Then, pay went up 40% when I graduated from shop to field work. Heck, I'll swab krappers if it pays more than what I do now. 
Structural welders (AWS D1.1 work in the field of construction) from a welder's perspective have a far more challenging and enjoyable job than pipe... BORING, yawn... However, Pipe certs seem to always pay better and there is that mystique and aura surrounding pipe welders.
Best of luck to you in your pursuit of this.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 04-28-2015 18:03
Mystique and aura... so that's what was surrounding me all those years... I always thought it was just because I was down-wind from the crappers...
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-29-2015 02:08
That would be the "Aroma".
If there be an aura from the krappers, then move them out of the sun!
- By amanullah Date 07-12-2016 12:00
dear all senior,

we have doubt about trade name,

we have approved wps trade name instead of using trade name is different, this is y essential variable we cant change
but i have doubt will use different trade name acceptable or not kindly advice.
please i am expecting valuable reply.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Questions on becoming a pipe welder