Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Shooting SS Studs
- - By msharitt (**) Date 04-28-2015 12:22
New here, new CWI as well as new to the board. Probably a question I've overlooked the answer for or I am over thinking. If we look at D1.1 2010 pg. 364 annex N form N-9, we see the form for stud welding as it references in clause 7. I am needing this form for D1.6. Annex M are the sample forms for D1.6 but there is not a stud qualification form such as mentioned in D1.1. My question is, Do I use the form from D1.1 and doctor it to make it match what I need it too? Or am I overlooking a the form made for SS?

Thanks
Michael
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2015 12:49
The forms are sample forms that can be used by those that are inexperienced and need some guidance on the use of a form. You are free to use any format that suits your needs.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2015 13:28
Michael,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

As Al stated, you can use any of the forms and are free to modify them for your personal application.  You can develop your own. 

But, there must be a form.   WPS's, Welders Certs, MTR's, and more.  PAPER, PAPER, PAPER.  Paper is our friend.  Especially if a job ever goes south and ends up in court.  Too bad for the trees.  Great for the lumber people around the world.  At least trees are a truly renewable resource. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 04-28-2015 15:12
Thanks That helps a lot. From my welding experience I have seen many different layouts for WPS and PQRs. I just wasn't sure on the stud procedure. For as long as the information is on there I could type it all in a list? Exaggerated of coarse but any form I feel easy to read and produce for as long as it has the required information is good to go?

On a side note I've lurked in the dark for awhile on this forum and It's nice to know it's very helpful when needed.

Thanks again,
Michael
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2015 16:27
Exaggerated for sure but in essence you are correct.  The main thing is to make sure you have included all essential variables.  There are tables and text in the applicable code that give you your essential and non-essential variables.  Then, in the sample forms you can see other items that you may or may not choose to include as well.

For example, on my WPS's I include some notes on the reverse side, or page two depending upon how one prints it up, that gives information about preheat, materials, and other items that I want more info than there is room for on the face of the WPS.  I also include a larger image of the joint there than what will fit in the little space on the face of the form. 

On welders certs, I take their picture and often will copy their driver's license or some form of ID and put their picture in space at the top right so their is no mistaking the welder standing in front of you is a match for the certification paper he presents to you.  Pictures are becoming a very real part of all of our work for solid verification.  Someone will obviously shout 'racist' one of these days but I don't care one bit about race, sex, illegal or legal at this point, it is all about making sure the welder is truly qualified to do the work and that someone else didn't provide the papers and fake ID.  Picture on the cert must match the face under the hood.  All other information is up to the employer, the police, and ICE. 

There are many instances where the sample forms don't provide all the information needed for the work at hand.  It can be taken care of with extra notes as mentioned above.  It can be done by modifying the form.  It can be done any way that works for your situation. 

The form is basically a 'list' as you called it.  Just outlined in a way that gives everyone a basic standard form that details what needs to be on that list according to the current codes.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Shooting SS Studs