Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hollow tube or pipe to hollow tube or pipe, What Spec?
- - By hawkeye (*) Date 04-30-2015 11:24
What AWS spec or code would i need to use/reference if i were welding 3" ODM 0.25" wall to 1.5" tube 5/16" thickness?  All parts are mild steel.  They form a flare-bevel type of groove.  They are structural.  I am using GMAW process, E70S-6, ArCO2 90/10.

Ulitmately i want to properly inspect this joint when i preform a cross section.  The engineer can tell me through FEA how much weld he needs but i need to know what the cross section should look like?  I am unable to get to the root of the joint
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2015 16:36
What's wrong with D1.1?

Al
Parent - - By hawkeye (*) Date 04-30-2015 16:50
So how do i inspect it?  These are two hollow pipes, different diameters.  I am unable to find any examples in A2.4.  When the engineer designs the joint, theres a point at which i am unable to reach the bottom of the root (kind of like z loss on a fillet but not).  Just need a little help.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2015 17:23
Unless other NDT methods are specified by the Engineer, VT is the only examination required unless the conditions of clause 2.19 come into play. The weld profile requirements apply, as does table 6.1.

As the inspector, your responsibility is to ensure the requirements of the drawing are met. If the Engineer or the designer do not do their job with regards to the joint details, there is little the inspector can do other than bring it to the Engineer's attention. The inspector does not work in a vacuum. There should be open lines of communication between engineering, design, and quality control.

Ultimately, the inspector is responsible for the inspections required by the code. The results and concerns are reported back to the Engineer. The Engineer has the responsibility and obligation to respond to the issues and nonconformances included in the report. It is the Engineer that makes the determination whether to rework, repair, or scrap the work. The method of repair is usually the contractor's responsibility. 

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hollow tube or pipe to hollow tube or pipe, What Spec?