Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding operator qualification test for submerged arc
- - By alandress Date 05-07-2015 21:14
I see in D1.1 the qualification test has to be 15" long(minimum) with a stop and restart near the center. My question is can there be a gap between the stop and restart. Our submerged arc welder has some age and its impossible to stop and restart without a gap between the stop and restart.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-07-2015 22:12
What specific test are you referring to?

Al
Parent - - By alandress Date 05-11-2015 12:48
Fillet Weld Break and Macroetch Test Plate- Welding Operator qualification test for submerged Arc. Page 189 in D1.1
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-11-2015 22:06
You may be better off qualifying the operator using a CJP groove weld.

Then again, how are you making production welds that require a stop and restart by design or accident?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-12-2015 11:28
There is no restriction on back grinding the stop to a feathered edge and backing your SAW unit (gantry or pull-thru) up and running back over that stop for your restart.... The restart does not have to begin on the exact point of stoppage.

I feel your pain...  You probably have GMAW WPS's to deal with the gaps in between SAW fillet stops and starts... (We do )..

I actually wrote and got approved a CWB performance qualification test that excluded starts and stops on the fillets because our process was simply not designed for that....  The AWS is not as willing to approve alternate performance tests (meaning they won't at all).
Parent - - By alandress Date 05-12-2015 18:33
Thanks this is what I was looking for. We are running an old submerged arc welding system producing beams for metal buildings.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-12-2015 20:15
Conrac ?
Parent - By alandress Date 05-13-2015 12:03
Not a conrac but a similar version.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding operator qualification test for submerged arc