Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pdh toward 9 year recertification
- - By strat (**) Date 05-08-2015 22:24
Hey guys,
Would teaching smaw and symbols and spec's at a community college justify pdh toward your 9 year recertification for CWI. I was asked to teach for a couple of semisters and have over 120 hours of teaching.
Thanks
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-08-2015 23:01
On first impression, 'yes'.  But, you need to submit all the appropriate paperwork to Miami and they will let you know.  You can find all the info needed for those credits in B5.1 I believe.  You have to have a course outline and all kinds of proof of the teaching and content.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-09-2015 02:24
Oh, and it doesn't go hour for hour.  You will get a certain amount per class, about 20 I believe.

Brent
Parent - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 05-11-2015 17:53
This may come into play if you are teaching the same class repeated.

16.4.4 Credit for a particular course may only be
granted once in a nine-year period. (Example: a single
40-hour course taught any number of times can only be
used to fulfill 40 hours of the 80 hours required for recertification
without examination.)
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-09-2015 13:54
Table 5.1 found in AWS B5.1 lists the subjects and job responsibilities the AWI, WI, and SWI (these individuals are not yet certified), are expected to fulfill. Generally speaking, taking a course or teaching a course that enhances one's ability to perform those job functions are eligible for PDHs.

The specifics of how many PDHs will be awarded and the conditions that must be met are found in QC1.

AWS used to have a guideline on the subject, but I don't know if it is still available.

The Certification Committee encourages recertification via the PDHs or the Endorsements because it enhances the inspector's ability to fulfill their job responsibilities and enhances their employment opportunities.

Courses in NDE earn PDHs, but certification as a Level III through ASNT's ACCP is a full endorsement toward the 9 year recertification. A Level III, II, or I awarded by the employer doesn't earn one any PDHs.

A course in English literature, composition, technical writing, etc. are counted as PDHs because it enhances the inspector's ability to write a better report.

A course in computer aided design earns PDHs because the inspector is required to work with drawings. Such a course enhances the inspector's ability to use drawings, thus PDHs can be awarded.

A course in SMAW, GMAW, etc. can earn PDHs toward recertification because the inspector is expected to know and understand these processes. This type of training enhances the inspector's ability to examine welds because they have a better appreciation for the types of discontinuities associated with a particular process.

Any course for which PDHs are requested requires certain supporting documentation to verify where the course was taken, what the course consisted of, how many contact hours were involved, and whether the applicant attended the course. Course taught or completed have to be available to the public. In short, generally, in-house courses are not awarded PDHs.

Hope this helps.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pdh toward 9 year recertification