Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / LOCATION OF IMPACT TEST ON HAZ ACCORDING TO UG-84 (Ed.2013)
- - By BorjaSpain Date 05-12-2015 13:34
Hi guys!

My name is Borja and I´m from Spain; actually I´m working on a company who manufactured pressure vessels; most of these according to ASME Code.

On the new edition of the code ASME VIII Div.I Ed.2013, new locations of impact test has been added (Table UG-84.6) for the heat affected zone; for example:

For thickness >19mm two sets of impact tests shall be removed from a depth of between 1/4t and 1/2t from the weld surface, and a second specimen set shall be removed from a depth of between 1/4t and 1/2t from theroot surface.

But, if you have a coupon of 19mm thickness for example; it´s imposible remove  a full impact test specimen (10x10) because between 1/4t and 1/2t you only have 5 mm!

Perhaps ASME is referring to the axis of the specimen?

Do you know any interpretations or point on the code refer to this topic?

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-12-2015 14:23
Borja,
They are talking about the center axis of the specimen.
Parent - - By BorjaSpain Date 05-12-2015 14:29
Thanks for your reply js55.

Why do you know it? I refer if you has seen a point or interpretation on ASME that refers to this topic

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-12-2015 15:03
I do not know of an interpretation however, there is concurring language in other codes and standards, it has been industry standard for as long as I've been around, and as you say, its impossible if you don't think of it this way.
If you need greater comfort, since you are working to Section VIII, ask your AI.
Parent - - By BorjaSpain Date 05-12-2015 15:09
Thanks js55!

We have discussed it with our AI, and he has the same opinion, but we didn´t find any point on ASME that confirm 100% that.

It's strange, because ASME is a code that leaves nothing to interpretation, normally it´s all very well explained
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-13-2015 07:06
Hello BorjaSpain,

You wrote: "It's strange, because ASME is a code that leaves nothing to interpretation, normally it´s all very well explained"

I respectfully disagree! Although, I will defer from debating this and will defer to Al, or anyone else so they can explain in much greater detail than I could...:roll::smile::grin::wink::cool: Btw, "Weldcome" to the World's Greatest Welding Forum of the AWS! BorjaSpain! Felicidades y mucho gusto caballero! Translation: Good to meet you cowboy, or horseman...:eek::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-14-2015 01:24
A-Always
S-Sometime
M-Maybe
E-Except

:eek::evil::lol::twisted::wink:

jrw159
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-14-2015 13:35
I would have to agree with Henry in a sense. ASME tries very hard to write in rules that need little interpretation or clarification.
It doesn't always work. That's why they get together for interpretations four times a year.
But also keep in mind that ASME leaves a lot out, on purpose. ASME Codes are designed to allow engineering flexibility. The committees are very conscious of providing safety minimums and little else. If they did not do this the Codes would be 10" thick or more.
Parent - By raintrace Date 03-11-2017 01:37
today,i meet a same problem. but i think that the specimen should be subsize specimen.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / LOCATION OF IMPACT TEST ON HAZ ACCORDING TO UG-84 (Ed.2013)