Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hello, and I am Looking for AWS A5.5 Advice
- - By Markos Date 05-15-2015 06:06
Hello everyone, this is my first post, there are many like it but this one is mine!

I am looking for some advice on SFA/AWS A5.5 as I have never used AWS before. I am checking the chemical analysis for some E8018G rods by two different manufactures ESAB and Tenacito 70 and  my chemicals are out with both manufactures by quite a bit. I have had on the rare occasion had the odd element out by a fraction but this is extreme.

I only have a copy of SFA/AWS A5.5 from 1996, and when I look for a up revved edition I cannot find one? Even on this site. Has it been superceded?

SFA/AWS A5.5 says Mn 1.00 min I have (1.21) Si 0.80 min (0.40) Ni 0.50 min (0.59) Cr 0.30 min (0.04) Mo 0.20 min (0.01) V 0.10 min (0.02) Cu 0.20 min (0.37) My actuals are in brackets, so my Si, Cr, Mo, & V are all out, this is just from the EASB rods but the Tenacito 70 are about the same? Which is why I am wondering if the spec has changed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mark
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-15-2015 06:35
Mark,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

The most recent A5.5 should be the 2014 edition.  As to changes, I can't tell you until I could get my hands on mine which are in storage as we are in the process of moving.  May take a bit as my wife and son are remodeling parts of the house before we actually start moving into it.  So, we are living in the 36' 5th wheel and have all our belongings stacked in boxes in my new shop and a storage container. 

Hopefully some of the other guys will come along and be of more help. 

Why do you need to actually compare the percentages of alloys?  Usually the electrodes are accepted based upon the manufacturer's certificate of compliance to the applicable standard.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Markos Date 05-15-2015 07:04
Hi Brent,

First of all moving house! Ouch. I don't envy you there!

Yeah i was thinking 1996 might be a bit outdated.
I am currently working in Oil & Gas now, but my extensive background is from nuclear, and even though the manufactuer has stamped the test certificate, we still had to cross reference the actual test results to the relevent code. So i guess it is just habit now. Mind, it helps if you have the correct spec!
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-17-2015 21:02
Exx18G=Mn=1.00 Si=0.80 P=0.03 S=0.03 Ni=0.50 Cr=0.30 Mo= 0.20Min Additional=V=0.10 and Cu=0.20 ,That is weld deposit
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-15-2015 16:22
If I am not mistaking, the chemistry listed is for the actual weld deposit, not the wire.

Al
Parent - - By Markos Date 05-16-2015 09:12
Hi Al,

You know something, it is not something that I have queried or looked into? They have just been numbers on a sheet really. I mean I know how they are tested but I am unsure if they are tested as weld or electrode?
Looking at the out of date spec I have, it does look like it is the weld deposit that is tested. Though, I am not certain of this?

Mark
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-16-2015 12:27 Edited 05-16-2015 12:36
The chemistry of the weld differs from that of the electrode wire. The flux covering plays an important role in determining the final chemistry and mechanical properties of the weld. The same core electrode wire is used for many electrode classifications. The actual chemistry of the flux covering is tweaked slightly to compensate for variations in chemistry of the different heats of bare wire that are drawn down to form the electrode. The flux covering contains the components needed to form the slag blanket, the arc stabilizers, the alloy constituents that affect the chemistry and mechanical properties, and deoxidizers to minimize or prevent the formation of porosity. The flux covering can contain iron, manganese, molybdenum, chrome, or nickel to produce a weld with the required composition. The metal alloys added to the flux covering are indicated by the suffix letters and numbers, i.e., -A1, -B2, -C2, etc. As such, the chemistry listed in A5.5 is the chemistry of the weld deposit. That has not changed since AWS published the first A5.5 specification. As a matter of fact, if you read the specification, you will note that the chemistry is that of the last weld layer. Several weld layers are deposited to ensure the weld isn't contaminated (as the result of dilution with the base metal) by the base metal substrate. 

This is very different from a bare electrode where the solid wire must contain all the components required to deposit a weld with the required chemistry, mechanical properties, as well as deoxidizes needed to prevent porosity. When welding with bare wire using the oxy-fuel welding, gas tungsten arc or gas metal arc welding processes, a shielding gas is used to displace and exclude air from the area surrounding molten weld pool to eliminate a major source of porosity. 

I hope find this explanation useful.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-17-2015 00:31
Yeah, THAT ^
Parent - - By Markos Date 05-17-2015 10:37
Thank you for that Al.

Though, I am still looking for my original question to be answered. Are the chemical analysis figures the same in the updated spec as they are in the 1996 spec for E8018G?

Mark
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-19-2015 01:58
Good point; the letter "G" means that the chemistry does not meet any of the standard AWS classifications. The exact chemistry is as agreed upon by the purchaser and the manufacturer.

Al
Parent - - By Markos Date 05-19-2015 06:43
Al, I could buy you a beer!!!

I found what you posted regarding the G suffix at A2..2.3.1. I feel a hell of a lot better now I can ref this paragraph.

Thank you for your help!

Kind Regards
Mark
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-19-2015 11:54
Maybe a nice hot tea will do.

Any time my friend.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hello, and I am Looking for AWS A5.5 Advice