Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filling a drill hole by welding...
- - By noufalkabeer30 Date 05-17-2015 03:59
A drill hole in a component need to be sealed using MIG welding.....
The dia of hole at the top is 25mm and depth is 10mm, after that depth the hole narrows to 10mm dia at the center.
Only the 25 mm dia portion needs to be welded, rest will be plugged using a grub crew of IS 2062.
Whether it can be considered as plug welding , what are the suitable tests required for qualifying WPS.....
Our job is not a pressure vessel and its more like an Automobile or a structural component.
The materials used are not listed in AWS D1.1.....
Whether a mock up test on actual component, and its macro and hardness test will be enough to qualify procedure?
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-17-2015 04:56
Why does it need to be sealed?
Parent - - By noufalkabeer30 Date 05-17-2015 05:01
Its a design modification done at a later stage.....
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 05-17-2015 08:37
why not tap and plug?
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-17-2015 08:50
You mention AWS D1.1 but do not specify this as you construction code? D1.1 allows drilled bolt holes to be bolted up if drilled in error. If not a pressure container then you can either leave or bolt up?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-17-2015 17:14
A little late to comment here, yet, as 46.00 has stated and others have queried/stated. Consider how many "extra" holes and penetrations there are on automotive frame rails and such. Plenty of open unused holes, slots, and access windows. They are there but "unused". So unless there is something that isn't being included in your description it is likely that these items that you question could simply be left as they are or deleted in future production if they are not needed. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-17-2015 19:24
Allan is correct
talk to your EOR
ask why this is happening?
I see fixing something
but get it right from the start
or start over
sincerely,
Kent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-19-2015 22:30
If the employer wants to adopt D1.1 as the standard they feel is appropriate, they are free to do so. There are other alternatives that could be just as good, but it is their choice.

Clause 4 has provisions for qualifying plug welds. However, as a customer, I would want more than just a macroetch of a sample plug weld. I would want evidence the filler metal/base metal combination is capable of meeting the mechanical properties of the base metal. In other words I would expect to see the WPS qualified using a CJP plate assembly so there is evidence the mechanical properties are developed. In addition, I would want to see the sample plug weld that is sectioned and macroetched (much like the fillet weld).

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filling a drill hole by welding...