Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Water jet cutting/PT inspection
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 05-21-2015 11:26
Plasma and flame cut edges need to be prepared for a lamination check that is clear.
  what is your opinions on water jet cut edges and surface preparation for a PT lamination inspection?
I have looked and looked but cant really find a discussion on this anywhere.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-21-2015 11:58
Let me answer the question with a few of questions:
1) Does the code address every possible eventuality?
2) What is the purpose of performing the MT/PT on a cut edge/groove preparation?
3) Is a lamination a discontinuity that has the potential to cause the connection to fail prematurely?
4) If a lamination is considered to be detrimental, is it prudent to perform an examination that can detect the deleterious discontinuity?
5) Would you examine the cut edge if it was prepared by saw cutting or machining?
6) If there is a concern, has it been discussed with the Engineer/Owner? They are after all is said and done the parties authorized to request additional NDT and they will absorb the costs involved.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 05-22-2015 14:50
I did not mention code this is a just a general question.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-21-2015 15:10
The logic of it would dictate that whatever the cutting process the verification be the same since the cutting process does not cause the lamination.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-21-2015 16:45
Am I understanding that you think it is a code directive to do PT, or some form of NDT, on the edge of a plate that has been prepared for a weld joint to check for lamination?

What thickness plate needs such testing in your opinion?

What type of preparation are we referring too?  Grinding smooth/to bright metal?  To what roughness classification? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-22-2015 11:58
What code requires a lamination check on the edges of plates that are cut??
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2015 18:58
Hence my first question.

AWS requires a straight beam interrogation of the base metal adjacent to the joint if UT is required, but that's AWS. Other codes, other requirements.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-22-2015 22:29
Mine as well, a visual along the edge is one thing but I am not aware of anything that specifies NDT (other than visual which can be argued is NDT).  My question about thickness is still the same direction, the lam check is only for certain materials. 

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Water jet cutting/PT inspection