Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Vs. D14.3
- - By d_paul71 (**) Date 05-22-2015 16:56
I was curious, without having to buy another code book, are the qualification tests in D1.1 similar to D14.3?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-22-2015 17:31
D14.3 = 97 pages

D1.1 = 500 pages

Pretty much the same thing I'm sure.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-22-2015 17:44
I don't mean to be a smart but, if you welding to a code don't you think you may need that code to be in complaince with the job.

M.G.
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 05-22-2015 17:54
Again, no where did I state I was welding to a code such as D14.3. 
I was simply asking if the qualification tests were the same or comparable.
Thank you both for the smart comments. I'll buy the code and answer my own question.
Just thought that since there is a vast amount of knowledge on here, I would come here first.
Parent - - By d_paul71 (**) Date 05-22-2015 17:50
Good to know Lawrence. Ask a simple yes or no question and get a nice response as such...

Thank you
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-23-2015 17:09
I apologize for being snarky.

Every AWS code is "like" D1.1 in many ways eh ?

Tell us  everything about the project and you will get a much better response...   Positions, thicknesses, processes, transfer modes... All that stuff is important.

I was pretty confident that you would get your answer from one of the other Posters, and was trying to be funny... You were offended and that's all my fault. Sorry.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-22-2015 19:19
They're similar, with minor differences.
D1.1 quals would be acceptable for D14.3 work.
However, D14.3 states that weld procedures/quals may be done to B2.1 requirements.

Tim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-22-2015 22:41
So does D1.1.
.......(play the theme music here).....

Look at D1.1, Clause 4.2.2 and see the Commentary on the passage as it states to go to the commentary. 

Granted, while it gives latitude, it does say it is up to the Engineer.  But it still says that it is acceptable alternate direction for testing.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-23-2015 01:11
Delaney,

Surely, you would have to admit, asking if the two codes are "similar" leaves a lot of open ground.

And, I was asking myself, why would one ask the question, take offense to sarcastic responses, and be inclined to buy the code if one WASN'T going to be doing a job or qualifying personnel to that code for good reason? 

BUT, neither here nor there, just my own morbid curiosity, and according to a couple around here, I'm just a blow hard who runs everyone off (one would have to notice that the same critic said the same of Lawrence and Al long before I came into his sights). 

Now, I don't feel I can really answer your question with the vagueness of it but will attempt to offer some personal opinion.

YES, it is similar.  All the AWS codes where they concern welder qualification are indeed 'similar'. 

Now, from there, I could drift into the smart aleck remarks and offend you even further than you already are (you know, like: 'they both involve welding so sure they are similar; or, they were both created by AWS and therefore are obviously similar).  And, I have been guilty of playing into that with the other guys and taking up our own offense when someone takes offense that we didn't answer a vague question with great flowing depths of intellectual grandeur and verbose self ego boosting and give you all the quotes from both codes that would totally fulfill the request you made.

But, having said all of that, could you not see it at least a little bit prudent to give us at least a little bit more information?  In what ways do you need to know if it is similar?  What materials do you intend on using?  What processes are you thinking of qualifying the non existent welder to the unneeded code with to be ready for the unforeseen job?  (does that seem sarcastic?  Well, maybe your question seemed as sarcastic to the guys when they first read it!  Especially on a Friday afternoon going into Memorial Day 3 day weekend with summer coming on full bore!)

Look, I don't want to make you any madder, irritated, or aggravated than you are.  But try to see this in a different light and help us out a little with what types of information you are looking for.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By d_paul71 (**) Date 05-26-2015 11:21
Brent,

I appreciate your thoughts.  Perhaps looking for a quick answer before we left for the long weekend is what I was expecting. My BAD... :) 

I have posted here before and I know that one must be very clear when posing a question.

The proper question that should have been posted was: I had a customer call me and asked if we could weld and test to D14.3.  I stated without the code in hand I am unsure.  However, I also stated that our welders are certified to D1.1 in which I believe they are fairly similar.  But, I would need to advise some friends (people on this site). :)

Sorry Lawrence, I know that you, Al and Brent are ROCK STARS on this site and offer tons of advise. I greatly appreciate that.  And after reading lots of posts and replies by you three I should have known that you were being a smarty (said politely) haha.

Have a great day all,

Delaney
Parent - - By browland (*) Date 05-26-2015 15:43
I will second the notion that Lawrence, Al and Brent ARE the most knowledgeable help that I come across on this forum. Thanks for all of the help that you 3 have given me in the past!

I can only imagine some of the questions that you guys get asked and the assumption that you know what in the world we are speaking of...............

It most definitely is not cookie cutter stuff!

Bob:grin:
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-26-2015 19:34
Just took a quick jaunt through D14.3:2010.  I would say that resemblance between D1.1 and D14.3 is there, but modest.

All of these from Section 7

4 methods of WPS generation
1. B2.1
2. Prototype testing
3. PQR of PJP groove welds (visual and a macro)
4. Prequal joints in Annex 1-6

Says all procedures have 6 variables, that if changed require a new WPS
1.Base metal class
2.Welding process
3.filler metal
4.joint design
5.welding conditions
6.position

Not the most comprehensive or detailed list I have seen.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Vs. D14.3