Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What is included in CWI part B tool kit?
- - By Param Parmar Date 05-31-2015 23:27
I am planning to write CWI in July. Would anyone tell me which tools are provided in test toolkit?

Thanks.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 06-02-2015 19:41
Look in the bookstore tab on top of the AWS home page, they sell a very similar one, the only differences that I can remember is the magnifying glass was 5x and 10X and that the tools are of sightly higher quality. In '99 when I sat for the test the calipers were plastic.
Parent - By Param Parmar Date 06-03-2015 22:17
Thanks a Lot Martin.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-02-2015 23:12
Param,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!!

Just to make sure, you can't use ANY of your own tools for the exam.  That means, ALL tools you will use are provided in the test toolkit.  Those statements are incase I did not fully understand your question because to me that is what it appears you are asking.

Next, for the past few years there is a toolkit given to you at the end of the exam.  The tools in it are the same as those used for testing though brand new.

Both sets have a fillet weld gauge set, an AWS gauge, a micrometer, a dial caliper, a 6" machinist's rule, a magnifying glass, a V-WAC gauge, and you will be handed your handy dandy 'AWS' flashlight. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Param Parmar Date 06-03-2015 22:08
Thank You Brent
I have been reading your posts and they are very informative.
Thank You once again.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-03-2015 23:15
Brent,
  Is the "handy dandy 'AWS' flashlight" still pretty cheesy?

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-04-2015 01:11
Still the same as it has been for the past 10 years that I know of.  A pretty high percentage don't work. 

They may be collectors items some day if you can hang onto it long enough.

The A.W.S. Gauge (which stands for Automatic Weld Size Gauge by the way)  is pretty cheap compared to some you can buy elsewhere.  And for the most part, not a needed gauge in the toolbag, though I do keep one around that I have had for over 40 years now.  First gauge I ever bought, yes, I admitted that.  Mine has two thickness pads down at the bottom of the feet that with careful grinding I sized to give me a gauge to check root openings.  As I remember, the one in the exam kit does not have that option.  They will work for checking re-inforcement.

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2015 15:12
It was my impression the tool kit was included with the VIW workshop. As such it would be handed out at the beginning of the Friday workshop so the attendee could use them to practice measuring the plastic weld replicas. That's no longer the case?

The magnifying lens I received was about 2 1/2 power magnification. So, it would appear they've upgraded their tool kit. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Marc Mulé Date 03-28-2017 18:53
From AWS, $270 for members:

0-150mm Dial Caliper

6" Scale w/ Clip

2" Reading Glass

7 Piece Fillet Weld Set

V-WAC Gauge

Inspection Mirror

Hi-Lo Gage

Protractor

C4.1 gage

Weld Profile Gauge
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-29-2017 02:23
Marc,

Yes, the items included in the toolkit have changed since this 2 year old thread was posted.  Yes, members can buy it as you stated. 

Exam takers still must use the tools as provided for the Part B exam and not the toolkit that will be given during the seminar for use during the practical practice Thursday and Friday. 

Was there meant to be a question or were you just posting general updated information.

Parent - - By Marc Mulé Date 03-29-2017 02:34
Answer: The latter
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-29-2017 02:43
:wink:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What is included in CWI part B tool kit?