Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Help finding best welding schools
- - By Noel Griffith Date 06-02-2015 12:20
Hello guys i am a freelance writer and i have been asked to write an article about the top 20-30 welding schools. The problem is that from the research i have made there is no much info out there. I could only find 2-3 generally acceptable good schools like Tulsa lincoln and Hobart. Can i get a little help? Some suggestions? or even some places to continue my research? Thanks
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-02-2015 13:13
Do a search on "Tulsa Welding School", on this forum
Parent - - By Noel Griffith Date 06-02-2015 13:43
Thanks i tried searching "best schools" an i didn't fin somthing and thought the subject wasn't covered
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-02-2015 14:39
I could be wrong but I am not sure there are that many. Union welders will school through apprenticeship programs. That leaves the market to non union welders. These schools can be pricey so the market is even further reduced.
Colleges have programs as well, but these are predominantly very basic.
This is why the company I work for has established its own welder school. The instructors are a couple of the best welders I've ever seen and have a good ability to transmit information.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 06-02-2015 20:38
js55 - I agree about college programs being predominately basic, but as you indicate there is variety.  For example our CC welding degree has two options, the shorter option contains 118 quarter credits of welding content (about 1,762 contact hours) and 134 credits total with the GE courses, and the longer pipe welding option contains 150 quarter credits of welding content (about 2,238 contact hours) and 166 credits total with the GE courses.

In addition to the instructional and welding time the welding curriculum includes 180 - 200 homework assignments.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 06-03-2015 04:28 Edited 06-06-2015 06:35
js
I disagree:eek::surprised:
many decades ago I went to college for welding and metallurgy, etc etc
the plumbers and pipefitters union sent their people to the same classes
( did not do as good as I did:red::razz:)
maybe things have changed:eek:
but I know Allan on here is very wise and is very knowledgeable
high school and college programs are where you learn things besides burning rod and laying beads
union programs never teach that
just imho
sincerely,
Kent
edit after some time I thought this through
if I was starting out now
I would not spend the $$$ on school:eek:
(sorry Allan):sad:
I would spend it on equipment and materials
everything else I would need for info is on the internet
Henry and Al among many are the best sources you can have
and welding is doing it over and over again
I might be wrong but just imho
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-03-2015 14:48
Hello Kent, and thanks for the plug for community colleges and welding schools in general. I have intentionally tried to stay out of this particular thread as I believe that students, instructors, their administrators, their advisory committees, and a whole lot of other people determine the success of a particular program. In the end, if the students who have attended a program are finding gainful employment and "they" are satisfied with their training/schooling that is what counts. Down the road is where welder success is actually realized and that success has as much to do with the students as it does with where training was received, geographical area, local industries, and a whole host of other variables.

It is true that most of the state run schools are limited in their offerings. They are generally tied to specific educational models when you are discussing certificated and degree programs. However, a lot of those same facilities offer specific industry targeted training as well and are responsible for "tuning-up" a lot of the seasoned welders that are out there too. This can run the gamut as far as process and skill and for many of these it applies where you possibly have a seasoned welder with a lot of SMAW/FCAW/GMAW/GTAW skills or combinations of these and they are looking to learn more about some of the skills that they don't have so much experience with. Often times the very same training programs have customized offerings to address these scenarios.

Great schools can be associated with any type of training program, whether this be a high school, skills center, state run community/vocational/technical college, private welding school, or union training center isn't really the issue. Any facility that can consistently produce qualified entry level trades candidates or higher level specifically trained individuals would be considered a "great school" from my perspective.

To be truly accurate in coming up with lists of "great schools" would be a long and arduous task when a person is trying to be accurate and encompass complete information.

Well everyone, I guess that this is my contribution to this conversation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-03-2015 15:52
Kent,
The union apprenticeship I went through taught GTAW(with and without pulsing), SMAW, FCAW, SAW, GMAW, OAW(why, I don't know), and oxy-acet and plasma cutting as well as providing basic math, and piping lay out. We worked with carbon steel, low alloy, and stainless steel materials. Occasionally some exotics when the school could get them.
We also had ample opportunity for on the job experiences as well as using all facilities on weekends and using all materials for free.
Of course, it still didn't make ME a welder worth a damn. But it did others a lot of good.
And shortly after I turned out they started offering PAW and orbital.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-02-2015 15:09
Take a look at Blackhawk Technical College in Janesville Wisconsin.  They have a very new Advanced Manufacturing facility they are growing.  Contact Mark Prosser  Mprosser@blackhawk.edu

Take a look at Arc Labs. They have multiple campuses in the Carolinas..  Contact Gene Crook (you can find him through LinkedIn) And tell him I sent you.
Parent - - By Noel Griffith Date 06-02-2015 15:21
Thanks
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 06-02-2015 20:56
Ferris State University and Southeast Community College in Nebraska are two very good schools.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 06-03-2015 12:08
Completely off topic, I met with Gene yesterday in Houston at SPARC.

Back on topic, for the OP, SPARC seems like a pretty good welding educational facility

Could also take a look at Salt Lake Community College program, it was pretty darned good when I was there, lots of weld time, not so many $$.  They have a AAS program as well as a 1,155 hr certificate of completion hands on course.  The 1,155 hr deal costs about $3,400
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-05-2015 16:34
Hey look! it's a plug... No wait, wait, it's Two plugs!!!!:eek::roll::yell::lol::grin::smile::cool:

Sorry Lar I just couldn't help myself! :lol::yell::mad::yell::twisted::yell::grin::smile::wink::wink::cool:
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 06-07-2015 06:11
Have a look at Pittsburgh Technical Institute - www.pti.edu

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-07-2015 21:58
Why not a plug Henry?

If one is associated with excellence, why not talk about it?

Besides, I have no official relationship with Arc Labs or Spark Academy.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-19-2015 04:00
Nothing wrong with one Larry... Just trying to make humor out of your post:lol::yell::lol::grin:
I was going to teach there a couple of years back when I still could but, unfortunately had to turn it down once I became ill again..:roll::sad: Gene is indeed a gentleman and has been around the block or two.:cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
- By mariagarcia (*) Date 03-08-2019 07:53
I recommend PTTI which is the best and certified welding training program school where you can get hands-on education and essential business skill that need to start a career as a welder in the industry.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Help finding best welding schools