Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Base Metal For Welder Qualification Testing D1.1 Table 3.1
- - By Toey TNDT (**) Date 06-03-2015 13:29
Dear All ,

If i have base metal that Non-conform with Table 3.1 For Welder Qualification Testing
Example S355J2 , JIS 3104 SS400 or Etc.
Can i qualified welder in Welder Performance Record  with Table 3.1 or not ?

Any Expert please Clarify

Regards ,
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 06-04-2015 12:11
Table 4.12 Welding Personnel Performance Essential Variable Changes Requiring Re-qualification does not list base metal as an essential variable
so I would say yes
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-04-2015 14:54
Toey,

I would agree with Martin; though I don't consider myself an expert.

Qualify welders to material from Table 3.1 according to section 4 procedures first.  THEN, if the company or customer wants testing specific to their material you can do a test for the exact joint, material, filler, etc.

But, once your welders are qualified to D1.1 Clause 4 they are good to go on any pre-approved material or material the company has a PQR on. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2015 15:25
AWS D1.1:2010, Clause 4.22 - "The welding personnel shall follow a WPS applicable to the qualification test required."

If the base metal isn't listed in Table 3.1, the WPS cannot be prequalified. Therefore, if one wishes to use an unlisted base metal, it must be qualified by testing in accordance with clause 4 Part B. If one is willing to qualify the WPS by testing, they can use the same base metals used during the qualification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 06-06-2015 18:53
And when qualifying the unlisted material the welder doing the welding for the qualification of the procedure becomes qualified to weld
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2015 20:05
And what to do with the remaining welders? That is the real question.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2015 19:14
OK, I think I need to clarify,

Based upon Toey's question, I think I answered correctly didn't I?   Testing can be done on material for Table 3.1 and they are good to go.  You don't need to test EVERY welder to the special material.  One welder runs it for the PQR and is definitely qualified for it but the other welders only need the standard test unless the customer requests in the contract documents or the employer just decides to do it as a precaution.  Correct application? 

On the other hand, IF the employer ONLY uses special materials then if they chose their test could always be with that material to make sure the new hires could accomplish what they need.  Right? 

Sorry, been working some 20 hour days again and have a splitting headache from sleep deprivation so not sure the brain is in gear yet.

Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2015 19:58 Edited 06-06-2015 20:04
I don't believe I said they have to use the same base metal for welder qualification.

I tend to agree with your position Brent, but let's go to the far edge of reality; The WPS is qualified for aluminum by testing. Is the welder qualified to weld aluminum, stainless steel, nickel, etc. if he has demonstrated proficiency by passing the test using a test coupon of carbon steel?

It isn't as far fetched as it may seem at first blush. Consider how many times we see D1.1 (correctly or incorrectly is open to debate) referenced by the drawing or project specification, meanwhile the project involves stainless steel, aluminum, or other base metal.

It boils down to being code compliant or being prudent and going the extra few feet to ensure the welder can handle the material that will be used in production.

WPS qualification - demonstrates the procedure will produce the required mechanical properties.
Welder performance qualification - a demonstration by welder he has the minimum skills necessary to produce a sound weld.

So - code compliant or take that extra step to ensure the Owner is getting what he paid for?

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Base Metal For Welder Qualification Testing D1.1 Table 3.1