Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS B2.1:2014 Table 4.1 Guided Bend Test verse Bend Test
- - By hawkeye (*) Date 06-08-2015 15:16
I searched this out prior to posting this question and found a similar question from 2013/2014 but I don't think the question was fully answered...at least for me.

Table 4.1 has "guided bend test" and "bend test" list twice as required for groove welds.  I have used D1.1 in the past but this is the first that i am trying to follow B2.1.  I know the difference between the two types of test.  My question is, "is the table requiring eight total bends for a groove test (four guided bends and four bends)?  If you are supposed to follow the table in my opinion there is eight required tests.  If you follow the table to paragraph 4.12.2.2, second sentence starts off with "alternate bend tests..." but doesn't specify if this is for grooves or something else and in which there are only four required bends.
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-09-2015 21:58
I think Its written in two forms depending on the type of testing you are going to do.  For instance if you follow over to the right of Table 4.1 you notice that "bend tests"  are used in stud welds also, there is a figure for the stud weld bend testing in B.5D and it is not a "guided" bend.  However the 3 common bend tests that are coming for straps are labeled as "guided"  I don't think there needs to be 8 bends, only 4, it is just depending on the type and weld bending ability of the object being tested.

If you look at 4.7.6 its also states that guided bend tests shall be used.  B2.1 id a very general common Spec and covers an array of AWS codes.  I know it mixes D1.1, D1.2, and D1.6 and prob others so it covers a lot of ground. 

Hope that helps somewhat

Jordan
Parent - By n4v4rr0 (*) Date 06-10-2015 02:48
this is my opinion about it. in groove welds, when the thickness weldment is less than 1/16" you need to go to 4.12. in 4.12.2.2 you have two choices for the bend tests, the guided bend test or the alternative "bend test". this last test is similar to figure 4.1 of D1.3. see also table 4.1
if the thickness is 1/16" and over use the guided bend test. in both cases you only need four bend test

best regards  

N4V4rr0
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS B2.1:2014 Table 4.1 Guided Bend Test verse Bend Test