Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Monel (M35-1) casting Weldability.......
- - By rajlike Date 06-09-2015 08:19
Dear All,

Please guide how to make successful weld on Monel (M35-1) casting. If I weld with ENiCu-7 or ERNiCu-7, I ended up with boundary marking in Dye penetrant test. Please give your valuable input on the same. I have followed all the instructions from the different weld electrode manufacturer but still the problem exists........
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2015 15:52
Please clarify what you mean by boundary marking.
Parent - - By rajlike Date 06-10-2015 08:39
Lack of fusion between weld metal & base metal. After welding if u do dye penetrant testing on the weld area. Penetrant will come out from the interface region(weld-base metal). This is what I marked as boundary marking.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-10-2015 13:20
Monel is a copper-nickel alloy. The nickel makes the weld pool very sluggish and it doesn't wet in like carbon or stainless steel. One must be very careful to remove all oxides after completing every pass. One must also direct the welding arc exactly where fusion must occur, in other words, care must be exercised to direct the arc into the toes (of the weld bead) to ensure proper fusion if weave beads are used. The width of the weave should be limited to maybe 1 1/2 times the electrode diameter to limit the probability of fusion defects along the toe of the weld bead. Depending on the alloy (how much nickel), it may be necessary to use a rotary file, rather than a stainless steel brush, to remove the tenacious oxides from each weld bead.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-11-2015 16:45
I would agree with Al, hAving taken a look at the metal chemistry I see nothing that jumps out at me to cause fusion problems.
Seem like its more a technique issue.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Monel (M35-1) casting Weldability.......