Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Do we have any RT guys here?
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-10-2015 18:49
A customer of ours was manufacturing some parts that have many fillet welds on them.  Their customer said they wanted one of them to go through RT (parts) and so they shot the part at a 45° angle so and centralized porosity happens to line up with the root that is always in a RT shot at that angle.  My question is how can a company shoot that shot when there are many discrepancies with the image?  in the same piece of film even there is another weld with a straight line all the way across where it fused and they didnt reject it.  Now the weld they did reject is acceptable in D1.1 if they dont call it linear because of the line.  I dont understand why they would call for a fillet RT anyways, let alone a level 3 is going to confuse fillet weld root fusion with linear porosity. Any ideas on how to work this?

Im having them send me the part and I am going to shoot it vertical down at a 90 degree angle to try and eliminate the root in the image so that only porosity will be seen.  any other ideas?

Jordan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-10-2015 18:53
Another case of people not understanding the differences in various NDT with it's proper applications and definite limitations.

Brent
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-12-2015 19:13
Brent,

in D1.1 6.12.2    if say this weld is 1/4",    is (5)  telling me that the porosity I have, if less than 3/32" cant exceed a total of .166" total porosity accumulated in 1" of weld.   is that right?  My RT guys are so confused by the D1.1 haha.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-13-2015 00:12
Under proper circumstances- yes.  Are we still talking about your 1/4" fillet welds that were RT'd? 

You really need one of the other guys to take this one up but I think you are being raked over on this one.

Brent
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-16-2015 18:30
ok awesome we got it all cleared up.  Thank you Brent for the help

Jordan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Do we have any RT guys here?