Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hardox 400
- - By Jacobus Date 06-12-2015 03:02
Hello all!
  I have a job to fix a tear and weld a new hook on an excavator bucket.  The bucket material is supposedly Hardox 400.  I have done some research on this, sounds like it welds nicely with almost any of the low hydrogen electrodes, with minimum preheat.  Hoping to use E-71t-1 .045.  Can anyone share their expertise, or experience of welding on this material out there?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2015 03:52
While I have on occasion used an 80 series electrode, more of these have probably been welded with 70 series electrodes than anything else. 

Depending upon the bucket size as to material thickness and your ambient temperatures you may want to use a little bit of preheat but your 71 should work just fine.  If you were in my neck of the woods you wouldn't even need the preheat.  And this has been a cool year thus far. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-12-2015 16:10
Jacobus,

Smaller excavator buckets might be HSLA, but most of the larger ones are an A36 "core" with HSLA plate added to high wear areas. Typically a 70ksi weld metal is sufficient to weld the two to each other. Edges of seams exposed into the direction of use are then often overlayed with a hardfacing weld metal.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hardox 400