Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld fume extraction
- - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 06-17-2015 13:04
Setting up a couple welding cells and researching overhead cartridge self contained fume extraction units that do not require exhaust. Just don't have the floor space for the standard floor units.

Anyone have experience with these units and would recommend some manufactures to contact would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance -
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-17-2015 14:58
Hello Jarhead1, we used to have a number of those units in our shop and they did a very poor job of keeping down fumes, dust, dirt, or anything else. So unless the technology has made giant leaps and bounds I would not invest capital funds into something like that.

Is there a specific reason that you cannot go with outdoor exhausted type units?

Now, if you could get some of the floor type units and suspend them so that you can still use the snorkel downspouts from them you might have something there. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 06-17-2015 15:56
Allan,
The dreaded problem is floor space - My main issue is were welding 8-gussets on 10' long angle irons which
is a long spread. Could be 1000+ units per week, multiple welders - tack - weld stations.
Sequence is machine op - debur- clean - tack - finish weld. These parts will run 24-7.
Might need multiple head units. Didn't think about suspending floor units, never seen this done in the past.

We do have a weld area with an exhaust system, which unfortunately is not where my new cell is located.

Also this project comes and goes every couple years.

Thanks - Jarhead1
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-17-2015 16:34
Hello again Jarhead, I just had one of those moments: would Adflo (PAPR) welding hoods serve the function that you are looking for. I would assume that you are trying to provide a "cleaner" environment for your welders, so those might just be the ticket and also definitely save on space. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By dick (**) Date 06-18-2015 02:16
Jarhead 1, we use Donaldson (Torit) overhead cartridge models overall not to bad, but in some corners of the shop in more confined areas we also use Speedglass PAPR hoods. might be something to look at.
Goodluck
Dick
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-08-2015 02:44
Yah, I've specced out a system recently.

They do make ceiling and wall mounted units, they free up the floor space, but may be no good depending on overhead crane concerns. 

How many welders do you have working consecutively? Once you get past about 5-6 welding cells it becomes more cost effective to use a central system, duct work isn't that expensive and what you pay for in higher capital costs is offset by only having one system to worry about and lower energy draw. 

If given a preference I'll use a central system everytime vs portables, but portables have their place and are cheaper on the capital costs.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-18-2015 01:36
Another option, have you looked at the down draft tables?  Seems they had a good system but I have never used them.  Saw them at FabTech both in Vegas and Chicago.  Don't remember the company.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-18-2015 12:23
We have four of the down draft tables and they do a good job but they have draw backs also if you work in a controlled environment it will also remove the cold air to and if the building isn't vented well you may have a problem.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld fume extraction