Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API 5L requirements on welding electrical characteristic
- - By TA.welding Date 06-17-2015 15:59
Dear All,

My question is about the API 5L  electrical characteristics ( I,V , v and HI ) tolerances requirements for the SAW-H  PSL-2 linepipe manifacturing .

In accordance with  Appendix B of API 5L , there is no guidence for the Heat Input , current , voltage and arc speed tolerances can be put in a line pipe manifacturing WPS.

Can ASME IX  requirements  ( supplementary essentials )  be used as a guidence?

In addition , ASME IX does not limit the minimum heat input however, in our project we have hardness limitation ( max to be 275 HV10 )

If ASME IX can be used as a guidence for heat inputs what will be the justification for the hardness ? as lowering heat input may increase the hardness

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Regards

TA welding.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-17-2015 23:44
I believe API pretty much leaves it up to the contractor/manufacturer to demonstrate their proposed procedure will meet the requirements/produce the required mechanical properties. It is the contractor/manufacturer's responsibility to do the research and develop the procedures that can produce the required properties. API is not going to provide direction on how best to achieve those properties.

Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-18-2015 16:52
All is right. With API 5L, especially in the higher strength grades, the manufacturing is as unique as a fingerprint. They all have their differing combinations of chemistry and thermomechanical processing.
If 5L does not specifically require a method than it is up to the manufacturer.
Parent - By TA.welding Date 06-23-2015 08:15
Thanks Al  , js 55.

Regards

TA.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API 5L requirements on welding electrical characteristic