Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Advice Regarding Weld Operation and Appropriate Symbol
- - By dobbertz Date 06-17-2015 22:48
Hey all,

So I'm a mechanical engineering student and I recently started a co-op position with an engineering service company. One of the first projects that I'm working on involves making some rough drafts of fabrication drawings, just to show to the client. One of things that need to be put on the drawings is weld symbols, and this is where I turn to you folks. I worked as a welders helper last summer and even in that limited time I know that welders hate when engineers make stupid decisions on this kind of stuff.

This is a screencap of the model I'm generating the drawings from

It's supposed to be a full penetration butt weld with a fillet on top, on all 4 side of the upright, and the upright plate is 4-1/2" thick. The client gave me this image to use a reference:

I don't yet know what the size of the fillet is supposed to be, but I can add that later.

My question is then how should I annotate this so that it makes sense when it's handing of to the fabricator.

Thanks guys!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-18-2015 01:51 Edited 06-18-2015 02:15
dobbertz,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I am not one who likes to go places I don't know posted by people I don't know.  So, my first question is: do you have a copy of AWS A2.4 Welding Symbols? 

If not, you will need to get one soon.  Even if the engineer has one, you probably need your own.  Go to the 'AWS Website' button shown along the top here then go to the 'bookstore'.  They can be found there.

Now, when one of the guys comes along who knows computers better and is comfortable going to this site you listed we may be able to get a response on your weld symbol to be used for composing a welding symbol.

It is going to depend upon the use of a single bevel groove joint, double bevel groove joint, a Single V Groove Joint, or a Double V Groove Joint.  You can also see these in Clause 3 Figure 3.4 of D1.1:2010.  There are a couple of ways to draw the weld in question when needing a CJP and then a fillet weld reinforcing weld. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-26-2015 02:59
I can only reinforce what Brent has suggested. A copy of AWS A2.4 is a "must have." Do not settle for one of the many "engineer's handbooks." They are typically a decade or more out of sync with the real world. Add to that, a copy of D1.1 showing the prequalified joint details in clause 3, Figures 3.3 and 3.4. They are "prequalified" details because they have nearly 100 years of successful use.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Advice Regarding Weld Operation and Appropriate Symbol