Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS for Short Circuiting
- - By hawkeye (*) Date 06-23-2015 12:15
I just started at a company that is welding to D14.1 and D14.3.  The majority of their welding is Spray.  Sometimes I find that they use short circuiting to fix gaps, or weld the occasional short weld, and thin parts down hill.  They have a WPS but no PQR for the short circuiting.  I am trying not to upset the cart and I have been tasked with revising the format of the WPS and start using PQRs when needed.  Most of all the welds that the short circuiting are on non-structural welds.  I am trying to decide on how to proceed with a PQR for the short circuiting but worried about the outcome.  If I do a fillet weld PQR or Tee Joint, I think I will be fine.  If I do one for the groove welds, is where I think I will run into issues.  I also wonder, is a PQR even required if there are non-structural in nature and for the last ump-teen years, they have had zero defects or weld failures do to these welds that are made with short circuiting.

One of my worries is, if I do a PQR with the current welding parameters but it doesn't yeild good results, does that mean that all of the work they have performed upto now is no good?

Any suggestions?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2015 19:36
An auditor or customer might say:   If your WPS is for spray transfer and the welders are using short circuit on production welds covered by the code (structural {whatever that means} or not) every short circuiting weld is defective, whether it fails in service or not.

Same for running downhill,  If the WPS does not cover downhill the weld is defective.

"We've always done it this way"  will not impress an auditor, ever.

If your current (unqualified) WPS gives you confidence for fillet testing, what causes you worry about grooves ?   Serious question.

Sounds like you are in a delicate position/role.     I feel your pain. (again no joke)

Suggestions:
You could easily do fillet breaks and simple guided bends on fillets and grooves to provide some confidence that a PQR with current parameters is attainable.

Is it possible that the material you short circuit on would fall under D1.3 which allows short circuit and has easier PQR's when they are necessary?   

Also,  The past is past...  If a PQR is in the future, why not do it with the very best parameters you know how to provide. If there are parameter elements that in the current unqualified WPS's that you think are wrong, there is no reason to try to force them eh?   They are paying for your judgment and abilities to prepare a good procedure !   At this point it is much more important to move forward than backward.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-27-2015 02:25
I agree with Lawrence..the past is past, move forward with better procedures and make a difference in quality whenever you can. Your input is needed there and it sounds like you can be a real benefit to this company moving forward. Best wishes
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS for Short Circuiting