Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie here.
- - By Jerem_5010 Date 06-30-2015 18:25 Edited 06-30-2015 18:27
Hello! So I am going to be taking the American Welding Society certification exam after a months course at my local community college in NJ. I have a lot of questions and I am in hope that you seasoned welders can help me. So here are just a few of them

1. How much can a welder with an entry level certification make a year in NJ?

2. Once I pass the test and get my cert is there any restriction on how long I have to wait to get more certs? Like inspector, sales, ect.

If there is a newbie section in this forum please post a link to it!  I really want to make it a career for me preferably crafting.

Thank you!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-30-2015 18:43 Edited 06-30-2015 18:46
Jerem(y?),

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

First, NO, there is no newbie section.  New welders jump in and take their licks like a man.  :eek:  No, just ask away.  Even if you aren't sure you have started a thread in the correct section.  If it is really off in location the mods will move it.  There has been no need for a newbie section since we are all learning.

Second, wages.  That gets asked often.  It all depends upon skills, experience, education, certifications, geographic location, type of work (pipeline, structural, aerospace, automotive, and so many more), and other considerations. We often see ads and hear of jobs being taken for less than $10/hr (people need to be shot for ruining the profession by taking those jobs, just walk away. Either they will come up or go out of business).  We also know of those who make over $100,000 per year (pretty good hourly numbers there).  But, for the most part you better be able to hit the $1000/week area and higher or you aren't going to be able to live nor feel good about your chosen career path.  That's a hard statement to make but that's where the economy is, and that is what we need to think about.  But, with your training thus far, good luck hitting $15 per hour.  Keep going.  One month isn't even a good start.  One semester is barely a good START.  Even if you are going full time.

Third, as to getting other certs, you need to check out the specifications detailing the qualifications.  They are all different.  If by inspector you are referring to CWI status, you will need 5 years of experience more or less.  Less with a college degree more with less than a high school education.  But, again, you need to go to the specifications that detail the requirements for the certification you are thinking about.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 06-30-2015 23:01
I would encourage you to read all you can. This forum is full of information (some of it accurate:smile:) that can save you a lot of time and hopefully save you from learning things the hard way. In the very early stages of welding education I feel reading is more important than mindlessly burning rods. Today's welder needs a basket of skills (pipeliners excepted). Fabrication skills in CNC areas like machining or running a plasma table are becoming more and more necessary.
Parent - By Jerem_5010 Date 07-01-2015 15:10
Thank you for the welcome. I asked for the newbie section because I have been accosted in other forums for not posting in it lol.

Ok so far what you are telling me is that this field and its upper movement it really in my control. I like this, I left the retail world because I wanted to be taken for how much work I can do and not be at the will of a district manager if want to move up. Spent a lot of time being told I will go far with little to no movement. I am a big dreamer and I really don't like being held back by other people. It sounds like welding experience, knowledge and jobs are fair game to those willing to learn and work hard.
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 07-01-2015 13:00
JR,
Chicago area basic MIG welder 10-12/hr (non-union) Welder/fabricator that I can give a some dwgs too and a bunch of parts and you can weld per dwg 15-17/hr. TIG welders a few bucks more, currently becoming hard to find.
Not sure of your age....
1. Get your hands dirty.
2. Blue print reading
3. Learn all the welding processes that are available to you. Stay under the hood Before after Hours. Practice - Practice
4. Machine tools lathes , mills drill presses, band saws, etc. Looks good on the resume. Makes you more available.
5. Follow around ask questions with the older fellas most will share there secrets and successes.
6. Look into you locals pipefitters, etc.

Adapt, Overcome and Improvise.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-01-2015 23:19 Edited 07-01-2015 23:21
sir
things imho
learn everything you can
welding, metallurgy,  layout, fitting, tool and die, heavy equipment, etc etc etc
work not just on welding, but learn to be general contractor, machinist
learn accounting and finance( yes flux Kent is counting beans again:eek::wink:)
just my thoughts
I will be wrong
but my very good friend Henry
will correct me:wink::grin:
sincerely,
Kent
- By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 07-01-2015 20:35
The rabbit hole never ends, and if welding is a true interest to you and it does not get old, there is constant learning to be had for you.   I would suggest much of what the others have.  Practice.  It make you perfect.  Also keeping your mouth shut works wonders.  Epically union.  If you go that route remember your place as a beginner.  Lips shut and eyes and ears open for advice and professionalism.  Let your welding speak for itself.  Try and get down all forms of welding.  GMAW-S, GTAW, FCAW-G, FCAW-S, OFW  are the basics but the most common for your scope of work.  Eventually when you feel you have learned all you can (without thinking you know everything) move on to the next related field that interests you.  Read as much as possible.  I have the Welding Metallurgy book o got for signing up for AWS 3 years ago and I still read it weekly.  Find what interests you and let it take you.

-JMax
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie here.