Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW or GMAW Which will fill the fastest?
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 07-03-2015 23:17
I'm back with another request for information. I have had a request from a client to come up with a better solution for welding connector plates 1.375" thick to the face of an appropriately thick flange as part of a moment resisting structure. Presently they use 1/16 E71T-1 wire. I suggested trying a metal core wire because I have seen the huge passes that can be produced. They went to their supplier to get a recommendation, and he got them a sample roll of a Hobart product that runs with gas.  I don't want to seem altogether ignorant, but about metal core wires, I am. So maybe one of you that has experience with metal core wires can clue me in. Specifically I need to know if they are all position, only for heavy material .5", .75", easy for a welder to use, and any draw backs that may make FCAW the better choice.

Dennis
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 07-04-2015 04:13
in my little structural steel shop my far from scientific research and development laboratory scientists.  (ME)   have found 1/16" 71C from Lincoln to be the most productive way to weld d1.8 compliant welds in the shop.     1.7X faster than 0.72" NR-232 or Esab coreshield 8 when factoring interpass cleaning.    Just my observations.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-04-2015 06:27 Edited 07-04-2015 06:33
Hello Dennis, I have opinions on the MCAW vs. FCAW, yet these are only that, my personal opinions. I did find a link from ESAB that might address some of your questions. I'll try to include it here.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/education/blog/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-metal-cored-wires.cfm

My experiences with MCAW were first realized by a Lincoln rep. who brought a sample to an instructors conference that we were holding a number of years ago. At that time I found it to be very easy to use and also found it to work particularly well on tube steel or other materials that might have varying sorts of corrosion inhibitors (think in terms of tube steel or pipe/tube). It was also explained to me, in layman's terms, that since the core was "powdered metal" that it took less energy to melt than a similarly sized solid wire and thus improved deposition rates. I believe that this explanation applies in a similar fashion to FCAW wires.

I just re-read your post and would include that MCAW is NOT an all-position wire and positioning of the weldments would be required for your out-of-position work.

I will be interested to hear from others as to their opinions/evidence to explain and answer your question further. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-04-2015 16:40
If you need all positions, MCAW is out.  While some GMAWP parameters can run metal core out of position, the deposition rates are very low compared to FCAW.

ESAB 710x  1/16"  will give you about 8 lbs an hour vertical up with 100% CO2 gas

.052 L56 solid wire with a Lincoln S500 will give close to 14 lbs an hour easily in flat and horizontal fillets, which might compete pretty well against MCAW.
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 07-05-2015 19:40
Thank you all for the quick education. Aevald, I followed the link and it answered all of my questions.

Thanks Guys

Dennis
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW or GMAW Which will fill the fastest?