Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I've never welded
- - By Pops Date 07-07-2015 16:29
After reading some posts, I know that this is going to be an interesting journey as I learn the art of welding. I am going to jump in with rookie questions seeking any and all direction.

1.) Should I begin practicing with a stick welder or a wire feed welder?
2.) Lincoln looks to be the best choice right now.
3.) I would like to start all in for about $600. Is that even reasonable?

That's it. I'm 63 and a die hard gear head.

Thank you, guys.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-07-2015 17:10
Pops,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

It all depends upon several other factors but if money is even a slight consideration then just start with the process you intend to use.  I'll bet that for that money you are looking at one of the 120v welders?  Probably wire feed? 

Don't try to go too cheap even there.  As with everything in this world, you get what you pay for and all machines are not created equal. 

There is nothing wrong with getting and using only one machine able to do only one process if you have no need for bells and whistles.  Then, just tell us what you went with so we can get more specific helping you with settings, electrodes, gases if needed, etc. 

Check out ebay and craigslist.  There is need to be cautious but there can be great buys on both.  Used and new. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Pops Date 07-07-2015 19:09
Roger that. Thanks. Will do some research.
Parent - - By CLH1978 (**) Date 07-07-2015 21:13
Welcome Pops. You have never welded? Maybe ,before making a purchase, see if you could use someone's welder to see if you would like it. You might be able to use a demo at a welding supply store or check out a community college, or high school program.
Parent - - By Pops Date 07-07-2015 21:57
Ya know, that's a great idea. I know I would love it, but, a practice run might be the way to test my interest. Thanks for the idea.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-07-2015 22:42
The advantage of even a short course is that you may get to try machines and processes that are beyond your budget, but may give you the range of whats available. Also, if you are inclined to independent learning, check out videos on youtube, especially those by Jody, at Welding Tips and Tricks, which are quite high quality.
Parent - - By Pops Date 07-08-2015 16:59
Thank you.
Parent - By dick (**) Date 07-09-2015 06:46
Pops, Maybe there is some companies in your area that have in house training for welders, that is how we get most of our welders, train with pay. Also I think you can still get an AC/DC stick machine for that $600 range (lincoln 225 buzz box?) I believe that is what we called them. The wire welders are more dollars unless they now make a 110 volt unit that welds decent. You didn't say what kind of stuff you were interested in welding, this would help to recommend type of welder. More questions, keep asking, and let us know how your doing.
Good Luck and Have Fun!
Dick
- - By Paladin (***) Date 07-08-2015 00:42
I second the Community College and http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com
If your welding will be in a garage or shop, not outside, I would think a GMAW ( wire with 75-25 gas) would be your best bet.
I would strongly recommend a quality 220 volt machine. Buy once.
Floyd
Parent - - By Pops Date 07-08-2015 17:01
Thank you for the ideas. Doing my research now. Our community college has welding classes. Also, I think I will try to see if I can apprentice with a experienced  welder.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-08-2015 19:19
Hello Pops, I just came across this post and would like to add a little something for your consideration. You have been given a lot of good information regarding ways to approach your goals. With regards to welding with the wire process and the solid wire portion of it there are a number of shielding gas choices that you could go with. I have included a link here which discusses some of the reasoning for a particular choice. I believe that this will help to clear up a number of questions that you might have in the near future. Good luck and best regards, Allan

http://www.bernardwelds.com/mig-welding-shielding-gas-basics-p152080#.VZ121xtVhHw
Parent - By Pops Date 07-08-2015 21:11
Sir...thank you. My concern is safety. I can get my head around electricity pretty well, but, when gas is thrown in all I can see is complexity. So far, my research is leaning towards something other than stick welding. But, I take a all suggestions seriously. I am just really inexperienced at this point.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-08-2015 17:44
Floyd,
I disagree a little
go 100% argon
works for every metal
on gmaw
but JC is great
might get a great teacher like Allan:cool::smile:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Pops Date 07-08-2015 21:11
Kent, sir...thank you.
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 07-09-2015 01:09
Well, I use pure argon for aluminum wire GMAW and for TIG (GTAW).

For steel I have used straight CO2, 98-2 argon- oxygen, 92-8 argon-CO2, and the old standby 75-25 argon-CO2.

For ever day use, user friendly, all positions, availability, I stand with 75-25.

Floyd
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-09-2015 03:37
Kent,

Do I misunderstand you?  Or, did you mis-type? 

I do not believe 100% Ar is very good for shielding on carbon steels with GMAW.  Sure, when I GTAW projects I use 100% Ar on everything.  The only thing I change is the polarity and maybe the tungsten. 

I'm with Floyd on my gas choices.  100% CO2 works but I much prefer Ar-CO2 75-25 for short arc on carbon steels and 90-10 for spray arc on carbon steels.  80-20, 95-5, and 98-2 all have their place but the others are my preferences.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-09-2015 05:03 Edited 07-09-2015 05:09
Brent and Floyd
what I am saying
is for Pops just starting or me not running a large shop
100% argon is your best gas for gmaw or gtaw
of all metals
much like a spool gun is best for people who are starting or finishing
their welding carers
make sure you can weld any metal
both of are correct on gas mixes
but if your not running a shop
and high production
go with what works on everything
and it keeps costs low (counting beans again flux)
the KISS idea
Keep It Simple Stupid
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
- - By dick (**) Date 07-09-2015 08:13
:confused::eek:
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 07-12-2015 13:57
You often get good technical advice from forums but a lot of not so good advice  with regards for what is right for you.
Yes, there is a lot to welding but at 63 I am sure the object is to build and repair and anyone that tells you other that what I say now is doing you a dis service no matter what kind of expert they are.
Get a 200 compact mig and the best bottle of C25 you can and a couple rolls of 030 solid wire. This is the workhorse in small shops, 99.9 % of the worlds general work is steel and if you find a burning need down another road face that if and when the time comes.
As for the machines, spend up a pinch here and slide by in other respects. A 30$ BD grinder from
Wally works well but a sheet Farmhand flux unit does not.
Here is the list. Home Depot 180 tap machine. Very good, any of the 240V from Hobart and the diy faves the Miller 211. The first are cheaper and do the same thing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I've never welded