Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spray arc, globular and short circuiting transfer
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 07-08-2015 14:34
Is there a specific cut-off point at which short circuiting transfer would become a different transfer mode in terms of voltage and amps/wire feed speed? I have to classify a transfer type with ER309Lsi at 26 volts and 310 wire feed utilizing 90 He/7.5 Ar/ 2.5 Co2 shielding gas. By all accounts of what I am used to this would seem to fall into a spray arc however it really seems more like a short circuit transfer. We are trying to create a WPS between 304 and Corten on 3/16" material. The values shown have proven successful on both bend and tensile requirements but I am in need of classifying the transfer type on the paperwork. Any thoughts?
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 07-09-2015 11:04
That percentage of He makes spray transfer almost impossible.  You are almost certainly in SC transfer
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-09-2015 23:34
In your case I would say it is more the shielding gas percentages that determine transfer mode not volts and amps.  Not real familiar with the conditions on Stainless but I don't believe you are working with Spray Transfer.  So that limits the options as to what you ARE working to. 

The second part then becomes one of what the electrode manufacturer's suggested and tested specifications are.  They are normally listed on various available fact sheets from all the biggies.  Just go to their website and look it up if you don't have anything on it and it will tell you volts, amps, size of electrodes as tested, gas mixes, etc.  This is part of making sure a process in Pre-Approved/Qualified, that it is within Manufacturer's tested procedures. 

If you were running on carbon steel you would be within normally accepted volts and WFS for Spray, but not gas and I don't know for sure with Stainless.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spray arc, globular and short circuiting transfer