Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Training on visual/surface examination of fatigue
- - By FinishLine (*) Date 07-11-2015 22:41
Hey guys,

Does anybody know if there is training out there specific to weldment fatigue recognition and annotation of discontinuities for CWIs/NDT (surface) personnel?

No luck on Google, wondering if this brain trust had any leads.

Thanks!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-11-2015 23:22
Not exactly sure what you are after, but, if I am even close then classes offered by NDT College for ASNT VT level I and II cover many aspects of fatigue, castings, forgings, and other items not really covered by the AWS for CWI study and testing.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By FinishLine (*) Date 07-11-2015 23:28
Brent,

I didn't think about asnt visual or an ASME VT-1/VT-3 course, I'll look into those.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2015 23:53
ASNT, not ASME

Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-13-2015 01:03
Finishline,

Do you mean Asme NQA 1/Section XI VT 1 and 3?.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-13-2015 13:07
finish,
Since Gerald is here perhaps he can field this one better than I, but I know of no NDE method that can detect fatigue. Fatigue may manifest as cracking but until a destructive metallurgical test is done it is only an educated guess.
And it certainly would not have anything to do with any CWI related responsibilities.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-13-2015 20:03
Welcome back Gerald.
But:
Laser instituted thermal vibration?
and:
High energy thermographic infrared imaging?

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

I doubt they teach those at Hellier, Hobart, Mistras, or GE.
Though I admit that I hereby stand corrected.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-13-2015 22:27
You are correct, they don't teach it. It falls under infrared/thermography which is a relative new kid on the block as far as US codes are concerned. I've worked with it in an R&D capacity, and can say it works, but it will be some time in my opinion before it's standard here.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-14-2015 11:21
Hi Gerald :)
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-13-2015 23:29
The only things really taught about fatigue are things to watch for and make note of for continued observation with in operation service discontinuities.  It is very difficult indeed without specialized equipment such as just mentioned.

Very interesting stuff there.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By FinishLine (*) Date 07-19-2015 13:07 Edited 07-19-2015 13:12
Thanks for all the replies guys. One of the contracts I have requires me to perform a visual and surface exam of the existing structure prior to modifying.  I guess they have had cracking and failure due to fatigue. Obviously,  I am looking for cracking during my inspection,  but wanted to know if I could get more training specific to fatigue. Discussion is great!
Parent - - By FinishLine (*) Date 07-19-2015 13:11
While on the subject,  anybody here have experience with in service examination of amusement park rides e.g. roller coasters?  What's the governing construction /inspection code,  if any,  and what type of inspections do they do? We specialize in elevated & at height welding and inspection, and I want to look into this niche....thanks!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-20-2015 08:59
My advice from a liability stand point is don't go there. When I was younger and dumber, I would have went for something like that. I am definitely older, and the dumb part is a matter of opinion.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 07-20-2015 18:20
The company I work for fabricates and installs chairlifts, trams, and gondolas all over the world. We also get mixed in with projects for the amusement park industry from time to time. Most of these projects are governed by the ANSI B-77 or ASTM F-24 standards, and as far as welding is concerned they refer you right back to AWS D1.1.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Training on visual/surface examination of fatigue