Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D17.1 questions about PQR's.
- By Samurai Date 07-15-2015 14:12
Hello all!

I'm new to welding in the aerospace industry. I've been tasked with setting up our weld shop, and I've got questions!

In AWS D17.1, section 5.4.3 Method of Qualification for PQR's, it tells me this shall be done per AWS B2.1.. The in section 5.4.4 it gives an alternate to using B2.1. I would much rather go the alternate route, mainly because B2.1 confuses the daylights out of me.
But my questions for 5.4.4 are:
1) Do the requirements in Table 5.5 apply to this? Say the EA doesn't define the requirements for PQR testing, can I go off of table 5.5?
2) What do they mean by "applicable qualification test weld" when they list the options for the qualification test weldment? Does this go back to the initial test welds our welding operator did to qualify?
3) Once I get it figured out how to start the PQR process, do I have to wait for that test weldment to get through testing before I can proceed with welding the rest of the order?
4) What if the parts I'm welding only require Visual & Penetrant Inspection to qualify the PQR/WPS, and they are supposed to all be visual & penetrant inspected anyways. Could I weld the order and send everything out at once time for testing, and once they pass wouldn't that qualify the WPS? The reason I ask that is because we don't do penetrant inspection in house, and the vendors who do the penetrant inspection have minimum lot charges. So it's just not cost effective to send 1 part for inspection then turn around and pay another lot charge to inspect the rest of the order.

If anybody has an suggestions, or if you think going in the direction of 5.4.3 would be better, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D17.1 questions about PQR's.