Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / searching for welding schools
- - By selly Date 04-01-2003 22:16
i'm working on an associates of applied sciences degree, and plan to continue with a welding engineering bachelor's. the school i'm at now is top-notch for welding, and i'm probably getting spoiled by it. can anyone recommend a good school to continue at? i've looked at many, but i want a bit of "personal experience" advice....
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-01-2003 22:54
There are several schools that offer welding engineering technology, but when I went to school, there were only two in the USA that offered a BS in Welding Engineering. LeTourneau University, Lonview TX, and Ohio State. (Although I heard that Utah State was working on one, but never heard if they completed it.) Also Colorado School of Mines has a good metallurgy program with a lot of welding technology.
Parent - - By M-Squared (**) Date 04-03-2003 13:06
Montana Tech in Butte Montana has a great Welding Engineering program. The school is a small engineering school with a total enrolment of about 2500 students. They are currently looking to expand this program to also offer an MS in Welding Engineering.

The welding engineering program is very hands-on as well as technical. Welding Engineers upon graduation can manually weld SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, and GTAW. They also have a robotic welding station. They have an extensive NDE lab where you will learn all NDT processes PT, MT, RT, UT and you will use these processes to qualify all the WPS that are required. Other classes include codes, maintenance welding, and design. The school is very inexpensive when compared to the other two schools mentioned in other post. When I graduated in 1997, I don't think I paid more than $3000 a semester. I was also living in married student housing which cost me $165 per month.

If you are serious, I would urge you to look at Montanan Tech. I believe it’s the best bang for the buck.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-03-2003 15:37
M Squared,

How long has Montana Tech had this program? I hadn't heard of it until now. Even thier website says there are only 75 WE graduates in the US each year, so word usually get around. I'm glad another school has an actual WE program. There are lots of schools with WE technology, but there is a difference, especially if you ever want to get a PE. Is their WE program ABET acredited or only the general engineering degree?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 04-03-2003 16:12
There's a classified ad in the back of April's "Welding Journal" from Montana Tech looking for an Assistant Professor of General Engineering for the Welding Engineering Option. It says the course offers ABET-accredited B.S. and M.S. General Engineering degrees which emphasize options in welding, mechanical,electrical and civil engineering.
Parent - By M-Squared (**) Date 04-03-2003 17:48
I’m not sure how long it has been in existence, but I believe since the 70’s. The General Engineering program is ABET Accredited as well as all other engineering programs offered such as Metallurgy, Petroleum, Materials, and Mining just to name a few.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how the accreditation works. If the general engineering is ABET accredited does that mean that all options under that program are accredited? One thing for sure this is not a welding technology program.

I know some major companies recruit from Tech for welding engineers such as Chicago Bridge and Iron, and Lockheed are a couple that come to mind.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / searching for welding schools